Options

New Job - Network Engineer!

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've known for over a week now, but just handed my notice in at my current place this Wednesday past!

I've secured a Network Engineer job at a global integrator and start the 2nd week in September. The interview process was a technical phone interview and a face to face and pretty rough, the people were great, just interview pressure.

I will be working on an account in the health sector initially on a 500 device Cisco network (routers, switches, 6500 content/FWSM modules etc), but will also get exposure to Bluecoat proxy's, checkpoint on crossbeam and technologies such as WAAS and riverbed. The company has accounts across all sectors and I will be getting security cleared to SC level to allow me to work on goverment projects but probably will not be required to actually work on them unless I move internally or we take ownership of those accounts. They said they just clear you at the start though to get it out the way :D........a bit nervy but should be fine and man is there alot of paperwork!

The actual role is a mix of 3rd line support but more focussed on network design and customer proposals so I'm totally delighted!

I'll be sad to leave my current place as I've been there 6 years and "grown up" there starting on the desk as a 3 month temp and moving through field engineering and currently Network Admin looking after LAN/WAN/VoIP/Security, but most of it is out-sourced except the LAN and VoIP system - makes sense as there is a relatively small IT dept and I need to move to progress my career as I want to. Everyone at work has been great and understand my motives and only wish me good luck so that's a good thing.

Anyway just wanted to share my news with the boards and to say to anyone who is looking for that next move, just persevere, work hard and the right thing will come along soon.

Cheers
malcybood

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Excellent. Congratulations!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Congratulations!

Leaving a place where you have a history and relationships can be tough, but sometimes you have to move on in order to move up. Not being afraid of that leap is a good thing.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Congratulations!

Sounds like an awesome opportunity. I feel like I'm in a similar situation - working with good people but the progression in my career has sort of halted... So I'm digging into my cert studies any free time I get and awaiting to hear about an opportunity. I know I always feel better when I'm being challenged at work. Sounds like you'll have an awesome set of duties there to get your hands dirty on!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nice one congrats icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Sounds like it will be a great place to stretch your legs at.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! This sounds like a great position with a lot of exposure to different networks and solutions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!! Hope for nothing but the best for you. Seems like you will be exposed to alot of different things. Always good to get your feet wet in alot different areas.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I honestly can not wait for September 14th. I finish up on the 1st Sep too as I have holidays so got a bit of time off to go on holiday and have to buy my own car as I'll be losing my company car but the package and opportunity is worth sacraficing the car.

I'll maybe send an update after I've been there a few weeks to let you know how I get on!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Sounds like it's going to be a nice step up for your career!! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Congrats! It's awesome to hear success stories like this. icon_cheers.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender