CCNA To CCNA Voice.. FXO? FXS? HuH!

optixgateoptixgate Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I found a lot of helpful information on this blog about CCNA Voice Home Labs but im still confused on why we need these diffrent modules

FXO and FXS modules.. I know there used for the phones but i have a C-3524-PWR-24 PoE switch, cant i use that to power my phones??

and for the router. i have my eye on a Cisco 1760 with 192MB DRAM/48MB FLASH with a PVDM-12 Module and CallManager Express 4.1 and some 7640 IP Phones.

I currently have a home lab as i just finished up my CCENT/CCNA and now onwards to CCNA voice.

My current lab

R1: 2621XM 128/32 12.4 IOS
R2: 2620 64/16 12.3 IOS
R3: 2620 64/16 12.3 IOS
R4: 2610 64/16 12.3 IOS
Frame Relay: 2501 with 4 Serial and 12.2 IOS

SW1: C-2950-24
SW2: C-2950-24
SW3: C-2950-24
SW4: C-3524-PWR-24

so with all that said what would your recommendations be in getting this lab up to CCNA Voice speck

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    optixgate wrote: »
    FXO and FXS modules.. I know there used for the phones but i have a C-3524-PWR-24 PoE switch, cant i use that to power my phones??
    You can plug your analog phone line from your Telco into the FXO port so that you can make calls to and receive calls from the PSTN.

You can plug analog phones and fax machines (and modems) into FXS ports -- and call/fax each other or fight over the FXO port to place calls outside of your lab/house.

The 3524-PWR can power your IP Telephones -- like the 7940s and 7960s (or newer more expensive versions). Those phones attach to your data/voice network -- and can chat up the analog phones on your FXS ports (and fight with/against the analog phones and other IP Phones to get out the FXO port on your single home analog phone line).

The 1760 is good for CallManager Express (and gives you a plce to put the FXO and FXS analog interface cards) -- but a 2650XM or 2651XM would also let you (spend the money) and run an AIM-CUE for Unity Express also.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • optixgateoptixgate Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can plug your analog phone line from your Telco into the FXO port so that you can make calls to and receive calls from the PSTN.

So with a FXO module (VIC-2FXO) i would be able to connect my existing home telephone line into this module to make and receive calls via my VOICE LAB from my home tele number????

The 3524-PWR can power your IP Telephones -- like the 7940s and 7960s (or newer more expensive versions). Those phones attach to your data/voice network -- and can chat up the analog phones on your FXS ports (and fight with/against the analog phones and other IP Phones to get out the FXO port on your single home analog phone line).

the C-3524-PWR will power the phones thats what i thought. and with the FXS modules i can directly connect analog phones into the module????

The 1760 is good for CallManager Express (and gives you a plce to put the FXO and FXS analog interface cards) -- but a 2650XM or 2651XM would also let you (spend the money) and run an AIM-CUE for Unity Express also.

so would a 2650XM or 2651XM be a better choice for a voice router, and would the 265xXM still support the FXS and FXO. or should i just stick with the 1760-V get some FXS and FXO modules and call it a day. And i dont have the funds to drop $700+ on a AIM-CUE module

Thanks for the GREAT RESPONCE!!!!!!
    So with a FXO module (VIC-2FXO) i would be able to connect my existing home telephone line into this module to make and receive calls via my VOICE LAB from my home tele number????
    Right -- just don't make any emergency calls (or practice any emergency call configurations) if you're going to start out using your home phone line.

Most people will eventually build their own lab PSTN using another voice router (or two, or three) and keep their voice lab seperate from their home phones. Once you're done with your lab, then you can deploy your lab equipment as your home VoIP/IP Telephony solution.
    the C-3524-PWR will power the phones thats what i thought. and with the FXS modules i can directly connect analog phones into the module????
    Right -- the FXS ports will send the power down the analog phone cables to ring those phones.
    so would a 2650XM or 2651XM be a better choice for a voice router, and would the 265xXM still support the FXS and FXO. or should i just stick with the 1760-V get some FXS and FXO modules and call it a day. And i dont have the funds to drop $700+ on a AIM-CUE module
    If you're not going for an AIM-CUE module (or NM-CUE) then the 1760 is a good (and cheaper) lab solution.

You'd have to get an NM-2V for a 26xxXM for the VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO cards -- or an NM-HDV to support a VWIC-1MFT-T1 or VWIC-2MFT-T1. The 1760 just needs the PVDM(s) installed to support those VICs and VWICs.
    You'd have to get an NM-2V for a 26xxXM for the VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO cards -- or an NM-HDV to support a VWIC-1MFT-T1 or VWIC-2MFT-T1. The 1760 just needs the PVDM(s) installed to support those VICs and VWICs.

The 1760-V router im looking at purchasing comes with a PVDM-12 Module so that in it self will be enough to power/support the VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO. and the -12 on the PVDM stands for 12-Channel but what type of channels. does it mean only 12 phones iv looked at the cisco docs but doesent touch down on the channels part

and i was looking on the cisco website about the FSx modules and it says something about
    VIC-2FXO-M1
    Two-port FXO for U.S. with battery reversal

what does the `battery reversal` do or not do

Thank you soooooo much for your answers i feel so much better making the voice lab purchases and have a `clear(er)` understanding on what i need to get....

Thanks again
    PVDM-12 Module

The CCVP FAQ has a Hardware Documentation Links section of stuff I found useful when I did the CCVP...

This doc link from the FAQ should answer your first 1760 PVDM/DSP question:
    Cisco 1760 Modular Access Router Hardware Installation Guide - Installing and Upgrading Memory and Packet Voice Data Modules [Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers] - Cisco Systems

Hopefully the CCNA:Voice doesn't get into any of the "DSP math" stuff -- but I think there is a "DSP Calculator" on the Cisco Web site (if you have access) and another 3rd party web site with one for when you hit those "problems" in real life. :D
    what does the `battery reversal` do or not do
    It's one of those mysterious PBX signaling things..... everything you need to know (for now) for your home lab is in this link. icon_lol.gif
    It's one of those mysterious PBX signaling things..... everything you need to know (for now) for your home lab is in this link. icon_lol.gif

and is it true that the M1 FXO cards support caller ID but the non M1 FXO cards do not??
    and is it true that the M1 FXO cards support caller ID but the non M1 FXO cards do not??
    Um, if we're just talking about VICs (and not VIC2s) I'd go with "probably true" -- final answer.

Understanding Foreign Exchange Office (FXO) Voice Interface Cards - Cisco Systems