Options

Nailed a new job!!

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
icon_cheers.gif Finally after like 6 months of searching I landed a new job! I currently hate my technician role at the current job because I learn nothing, get to do nothing, and work for <insert bad words here>. The new job is an awesome jump I think, I'll be a Systems Analyst (cool jump from technician icon_cool.gif). Its going to be me and 1 other guy running the whole IT dept. They have an old school Win2k domain that is going to be overhauled to Win2k8. They also have almost no infrastructure so me and the other guy will be redesigning and building it from the ground up which I think is an awesome opportunity (most of the time you inherit the network and never actually get to build it yourself). Also there is a ton of Cisco work involved which means I get to put my certs to good use!

Anyone have any advice for just starting out somewhere new?

Comments

• Options
    dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!! Looks like a great opportunity for growth.
    ...redesigning and building it from the ground up...

Sounds like an amazing experience :D
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    absolutely awesome, congrats and good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Congrats !! icon_thumright.gif

now it's time to get your hands dirty and learn the real deal :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Wish I could land something like that. Congrats and good luck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad to hear things are working out for you. Keep us posted on how it all goes.

Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sounds like the right place at the right time! Congrats!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Its always nice when hard wok pays off.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    If you don't want the users at your new job to push you around and steal your lunch money, on the first day on the job you should walk up to the biggest user...... icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    on the first day on the job you should walk up to the biggest user......

Or just change his password icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Or just change his password icon_twisted.gif

Na, let him log in, but lock his pc down with gpo's so it makes kiosk machines seem like enterprise admins icon_twisted.gif
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Man I'm so jealous. Congrats on the new job and opp.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can confidently tell you that if you bust your ass this job will land you a senior gig in most companies down the road.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Wish I could land something like that. Congrats and good luck.

Well we are in Buffalo.... Not too much out there at the moment. With Yahoo! building the new Data Center in Lockport, NY there will be quite a few companies looking to replace those that are hired. It looks to be 75 - 125 skilled / local people being hired.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Sounds Awesome! Congrats!
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Well we are in Buffalo.... Not too much out there at the moment. With Yahoo! building the new Data Center in Lockport, NY there will be quite a few companies looking to replace those that are hired. It looks to be 75 - 125 skilled / local people being hired.
    Wow, for real. Never knew that. Where did you hear that and when is it supposed to be completed? I'd love to work in a data center instead of helpdesk, but that seems to be where I'm headed.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/06/30/its-official-yahoo-building-in-lockport-ny/

I like this news. Things have been looking pretty bleak around here.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with the new job!
  • Options
    Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□

Congratulations on striking gold! Maybe it's not gold in terms of cash flow, but it is gold in terms of experience and real world skills, which I think are the most important things in IT.

My advice to you is to document everything good you do in your blog from the first day of the job onward. This way, if you ever have to go into another job interview several years from now and your employer types your name in to Google, they will find these magnificent blog entries detailing your uber-tech skills and all the amazing work you did migrating your company from Win2k to Win2k8, and, dare I say it, even sneaking a small time, insignificant Ubuntu, *BSD or Solaris server in there somewhere in the infrastructure as a web server for a corporate wiki or some other minor role that doesn't conflict with Microsoft Exchange and the Active Directory (note that all of these operating systems: Linux, *BSD, and Solaris are free as long as you don't buy support, and if you do need support, don't use Red Hat Enterprise as it's way too expensive compared to the other alternatives). When your prospective future employers google your name and see all that you've done it will really make you stand out compared to other job applicants and will put your resume on the top of the pile.

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/