Windows 2000 to 2008

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Has anyone pulled this off before? Are there any "gotchas" I should know about. Most of the documentation I've been reading says I'll need to bring everything up to 2003 before migrating to 2008.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's the scenario? You can add Server 2008 servers into a 2003 network without having to change any of that.

Check this out to see if you need to change the FFL/DFL: Appendix of Functional Level Features

Edit: I assume you're at 2000 Native now. 2000 Mixed is no longer supported.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well its the new company that I'm starting for they have a single forest/single domain with 2 DCs. The whole domain and both DCs are Windows 2000. They want to migrate the whole infrastructure to 2008. I'm thinking of just putting up the 2008 server and migrating roles one at a time, unless I can find an easier way to move the DNS/AD.

This is the first task I have been given but haven't been to the company yet (still finishing out my other job), so its just general planning on paper for the moment.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is what I would suggest. Add the 2008 Servers as DCs, move the roles, demote the 2000 servers and then raise the forest/domain levels. I cannot imagine there would be a better way to do it.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll have to migrate to 2003 first
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    GAngel wrote: »
    You'll have to migrate to 2003 first

Only if you are upgrading the existing servers to 2008. If you are installing new servers as your 2008 DCs, you just need to make sure the 2000 DCs are running SP4 prior to the introduction of 2008 DCs.

Determine Service Pack Levels

Determine Domain Controller Upgrade Order
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We have one new server coming in I know that, the plan is to install Win2K8 on there and once its stable and can assume the roles needed I can take the primary PDC and BDC offline to be wiped and re-installed with Win2K8 as well. Thanks all for the suggestions though, going to spend some time in technet this week.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are the client OS(es)? Any other servers besides those two 2000 boxes?