Options

Practice Password Recovery on Packet Tracer 5.1

BearsFan79BearsFan79 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone every practice password recovery using Packet Tracer? Is the break sequence used to get into rommon1 the same as it would be on an actual router?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Bearsfan,

I just tried it with Control Break and it went right into rommon1. I am using Packet tracer 5.1
  • Options
    BearsFan79BearsFan79 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    It is definitely possible. I have done it on both switches and routers in packet tracer :)
  • Options
    It is definitely possible. I have done it on both switches and routers in packet tracer :)

What charector sequence did u use on the switches? I tried Cntl Break, Break, Shift4, shift 6, cntrl b
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    Are you sure you've performed it on the switches in packet tracer? I may be wrong but I believe most of the switches require you to hold down the mode button on the switch while unplugging it/plugging it back in. Then you can use the break sequence. Your best bet is to find a real switch to practice on.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I apologize. I meant to put just routers. I practiced my password recovery on my actual switch. Sorry for the confusion. For a router I used Cntrl + Shft + F6 + C in packet tracer.
  • Options
    jdacjdac Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't find out the break sequence for Switches in Packet Tracer. If all you need is bypass the passwords then (in Packet Tracer, not in real life!!!) go to the Config tab in the Switch's window, and press a button like the "VLAN Database" button. This should put the switch in "config" (global configuration) mode, then you can go back to the CLI tab and you will still be in that mode. Then you can proceed with whatever you want.
  • Options
    steve514steve514 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's also worth mentioning that if packet tracer is giving you problems or you find you are hitting the limitations of packet tracer, it might be worth trying the free gns3 tool simulator (google the name) too.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try this.

recovery password packet tracer 2621XM | Lesand - YouTube

There was no break key on my laptop for password recovery on packet tracer application and alternate ways didn't work. As i have found, the guy connects a PC to the cisco device so, access the Cisco device directly(with the console connection). In the meantime, he hard resets the Cisco Device and voila.

Edit : after he hard resetted the device, told that he pressed the break key a few times.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Funny, I just accidentally locked a bunch of switches/routers in Packet Tracer 5.3 and this thread was the first hit on Google. However I have a Hackintosh and don't have a 'Break' key on the keyboard. I even tried ctl+shift+F6+c to get to rommon and still couldn't. So I used the config tab to modify the line con 0 on the run config file to fix it instead of starting over.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If im not mistaken, the last time i experienced, it didn't work on switches.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)