Options

Network Printer Issues HelP

svansvan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Gentlemen.

I administer a W2K domain (AD). Consists of a W2K domain controller, 100 W2K workstations and 2 network printers.

Several weeks ago one of the printers, a HP LaserJet 2200 DN, stops printing and became inaccessible via the network. I have tried patching it into other ports, but no luck. I attached it locally via a para cable to a workstation and it prints with no problems.

I have now changed the internal HP Jet direct 610N card, but still the same problem prevails....

The printer does not show up in AD, thus unable to install it. Printer is in accessible from any workstation.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Does these print server cards need configuring via a web based GUI?

Any assistance appreciated

Comments

• Options
    allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    Check the configuration of your jet direct card? are you using tcp/ip configuration on printer? if yes? check the ip method of connection if using DHCP or BootP or AutoIP or static.

Here in my place, I only used TCP/IP and using static IP on printer configuration. not DHCP. And also used reserved IP from DHCP scope.

About AD. Try to publish again the printer. Hope this help.

icon_wink.gif
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • Options
    kik_azzkik_azz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello svan,

I think that you should publish the printer in AD by checking the "List in Directory" in the sharing tab of the printer properties dialog box.
  • Options
    KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    svan wrote:
    Hello Gentlemen.

I administer a W2K domain (AD). Consists of a W2K domain controller, 100 W2K workstations and 2 network printers.

Several weeks ago one of the printers, a HP LaserJet 2200 DN, stops printing and became inaccessible via the network. I have tried patching it into other ports, but no luck. I attached it locally via a para cable to a workstation and it prints with no problems.

I have now changed the internal HP Jet direct 610N card, but still the same problem prevails....

The printer does not show up in AD, thus unable to install it. Printer is in accessible from any workstation.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Does these print server cards need configuring via a web based GUI?

Your going to need the JetDirect Network Install Wizard to assign an IP Address to the JetDirect 610N card

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc-JAVA/offweb/vac/us/en/en/network_software/install_overview.html
  • Options
    KernelXP wrote:
    svan wrote:
    Hello Gentlemen.

Your going to need the JetDirect Network Install Wizard to assign an IP Address to the JetDirect 610N card

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc-JAVA/offweb/vac/us/en/en/network_software/install_overview.html

Spot on m8. I got that this week and will attempt the install next week.

Thanks again evb :)
  • Options
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    svan wrote:
    Hello Gentlemen.

Easy. Manualy enter a vaild IP into the machine by physicaly touching it. Printers: Add: new port:tcp/ip- type the IP and choose the correct drivers. DONE. ps - if it takes a long time to print for some reason, don't use tcp/ip - use LPR.
    Also- you don't need HP Direct Jet software- I think it actually sucks and takes up space- you don't need it.
  • Options
    Before you can do that you need to physically add an IP Address to the JetDirect card, the only way you can do this is by using the Network Wizard from HP, all the IP settings are then stored on the JetDirct network card. Even if you take the printer to another building it will retain the same configuration

If you do it the way you suggested Windows won't be able to find the network Printer because it won’t be able to locate an IP address on the network, also the card and printer in mention only has an RJ-45 port, so no chance in using it as an LPR in this scenario.
  • Options
    KernelXP wrote:
    Before you can do that you need to physically add an IP Address to the JetDirect card, the only way you can do this is by using the Network Wizard from HP, all the IP settings are then stored on the JetDirct network card. Even if you take the printer to another building it will retain the same configuration

If you do it the way you suggested Windows won't be able to find the network Printer because it won’t be able to locate an IP address on the network, also the card and printer in mention only has an RJ-45 port, so no chance in using it as an LPR in this scenario.

Spot on. I'll try it on Monday and report back