Options

HP vs Cisco

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
So this new job I'm going into has mostly HP switches instead of Cisco. We are going to migrate but in the mean time I need to support the HP switches in place. Is there a large difference in the two products, does anyone have any exp with them?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Procurves are pretty straightfoward and aren't a bad line of products. They are more than capable of moving data around.
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. We use a Cisco router over here, but our switches are the HP Procurve, and they are pretty straightforward. They are pretty reliable and their web interface is pretty good.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    They are pretty easy to work on with the web interface. You should have no problems if you are a Cisco guy.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We also use HP for our switching and Cisco for routers. I can sit down at any HP switch and pretty much feel like I'm working on Cisco gear. They have been very reliable for us, even the real lower end ($300 48 port models) switches have worked very well.

They have a great warranty as well, lifetime which I think Cisco has also started to do but HP provides next business day advance replacement where I remember reading Cisco's default advance replacement was specified just within 10 business days unless you purchase a SMARTnet contract. The HP gear is also much cheaper, which is the main reason we use it - our budget wouldn't accommodate Cisco switches.
  • Options
    The HP gear is also much cheaper, which is the main reason we use it - our budget wouldn't accommodate Cisco switches.

Exactly why I'm about to be stuck with their gear as well. The IT dept has no budget so until we can grow that up a little I'll be using these HP switches, but everyone here seems to like them which is a good sign! Anyone know if they have a certification track like Cisco, or is HP not that serious?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Exactly why I'm about to be stuck with their gear as well. The IT dept has no budget so until we can grow that up a little I'll be using these HP switches, but everyone here seems to like them which is a good sign! Anyone know if they have a certification track like Cisco, or is HP not that serious?

They do have various certifications but I never really looked much into them.

Training - HP ProCurve Networking
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'm going to dissent from the crowd. I absolutely hate HP network gear, it's never given me anything but problems. If I can't have Cisco, then I want Juniper or Force10
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    HP products are excellent and they provide excellent support.

I used to work for HP (Enterprise Support) and I command them for excellence.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    looks like we could be going that way too. I've just had 2 pro curves switches dropped on my desk, I have to configure them for QoS and test them against the equivilant cisco models.
    Should be a fun excersise
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked for HP, ProCurve rocks, it´s a pretty good piece of equipment. I would definitely recomend it. I have some limited experience with it, but still have friends working in the ProCurve team.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    HP make switches ? Well.. live and learn..

Next thing you know, Cisco will be making servers!
    Kam.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    There are some nuances with them. Personally I'd prefer to work on a cisco switch because of familiarity, but its not entirely bad. We're replacing all of our EOL cisco gear with HP on the access layer.
  • Options
    Wow lots of responses thanks everyone! Guess I'll be looking over some of the documentation for the HP switches for next week. Just to throw this out there but has anyone heard of / used vyatta? I have used their virtual appliance for limited testing, seems pretty good but haven't seen it anyone in the real world.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    HP make switches ? Well.. live and learn..

They might be soon enough...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, and then IBM will start selling re-branded Juniper equipment....

If price is your primary criteria for switch purchases, then HPs are fine.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    We have a few customers that utilise HP switches for their cores etc.

- they're cheaper
    - have less functionality
    - HP maintenance contracts are a heck of a lot cheaper too
    - They do their job.

But there are a lot more aspects to look at other than cost though :) cisco is a lot better ;)
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    How do Juniper switches compare ?

I'm hearing HP/3com up there to match Cisco but nothing about Juniper. Is that just the burn from the Juniper Security legacy or are their switches just kack ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How do Juniper switches compare ?
    So far Juniper seems to be only targeting the Luxury Switch Market (and Cisco).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    After looking through the documentation I still think that Cisco seems to offer more than the HPs but the price of the HPs are kinda nice. icon_wink.gif