Options

Just got Charter Internet

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I just got Charter Internet, it was the only option available where I live. I am not sure how much I really like. The connection just dropped today for explainable reason.

Also, I cannot figure out what all the chatter is for on my Wireless Router! I never so anywhere near this chatter with DSL! Does anyone have any thoughts on all the chatter?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cable's a shared medium while DSL is not; I believe that's normal.
  • Options
    So it turns out after observation with Wire Shark that its a ton ARP requests going on constantly. Somehow this doesn't seem right. Does anyone else have this experience with their Cable Modem? Mine is a Motorola SURFboard SB5101.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Charter in my area is not too bad in terms of reliability, I left them initially about 8 months ago due to awful speed issues (less than 1MB on my 16MB plan) and horrible packet loss and went with CenturyTel (only DSL carrier in my area). I eventually switched back because CenturyTel wasn't that great in my area since I'm at a good distance from the CO.

The biggest issue I have with Charter is they have to be hands down the very worst ISP ever in terms of support. For their residential services it's a royal PITA to even get through to a technician since they have an automated self support system that I couldn't seem to get around the last time I had to call in. Once you do get past it, you're best bet is to simply say you have one machine connected right into the modem (I suggest renting one or it will always be your modems fault) or it will instantly be your networking equipments fault.

As far as the unknown traffic, I don't experience that problem. Have you run Wireshark at all to see whats going on?
  • Options
    @msteinhilber: Yeah it's ARP requests. LOTS OF ARP REQUESTS!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Like I said, I believe this is typical of cable since it is a shared medium. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Options
    @Dynamik: Oh duh, now I feel stupid. I have no idea why when you said shared medium it didn't immediately it hit me. Since the modem does not have a firewall I am seeing all the traffic the modem sees correct?