Options

An IT-focused MBA, so what?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
In recent months I've thought a lot about advancing my education. I plan to learn extensively in the next 4-5 years and then live my life (travel, explore and more).

I plan to learn informally and formally. I want to get my IT certifications (informal) and also get my masters (MBA) which of course is formal education. I found an MBA program in Toronto and it's called MBA/Management of Technology and Innovation. I'm just wondering about the advantages an IT-focused MBA would bring. I think it will make it easier for me to get into management, but I just wanted to get an idea from you folks.

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a few people here who went the MBA route after starting in IT. It's a good path to get into a project manager position.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You'll essentially be doing what a lot of MBAs should do, learning the business of their chosen field and/or bringing experience and knowledge of the field into the business-end of it. You'll probably find yourself with choices of work in both IT and non-IT companies, but if you plan on staying in IT you'll more than likely be far away from the hands-on aspect of the job. The MBAs I've known and worked with have usually been tasked with business-development, with financial and marketing work, as well as overseen things like mergers and partnerships with other companies, as well as have been involved with company operations and policy-making. I think it will be an excellent way of getting yourself one step closer to management, (your experience and certs will definitely play a large part as well). Good luck with your studies, as well as with your certs. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    bwcarty wrote: »
    We have a few people here who went the MBA route after starting in IT. It's a good path to get into a project manager position.

Designers and architects make more money than PMs and are usually treated with a lot more respect. Data centre design with fluid dynamics and stuff and you will never, ever be poor. Database architects .. wow I wouldn't even like to think about how much those peopel earn.

PMs get an awfull lot of grief even though they usually pass on a lot of the actual work to the implementation guys. I used to want to be one but after being around a lot of them, s*d that for a game of soldiers. Way too much pressure and your a$$ is always on the line.

I don't mean to come across so mercenary but if you are going to go through the trouble of an MBA then you really need to be thinking about the big leagues afterward in what actually interests you. You are putting that effort to cut out a lifestyle choice for yourself and your future family, etc. All that early theoretical study must reap a reward with a much higher earning capability or why bother ? You couldn't do all that study and then try get a job as a network admin for instance ... I doubt you would even be considered for interview and it would be a complete waste. The interviewer would just consider you far too much of a braniac.
    Kam.