Windows Sync

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Curious as to what everyone uses for sync features for their clients (particularly in a Windows environment). We currently use the Windows sync feature which I find horrid and has on more than 1 occasion lost peoples files for not working properly. There is also an annoyance of constantly trying to sync everything with the server. Anyone else have suggestions for things they like?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're just talking about files or what?

I use folder redirection with group policy, if that's what you're asking.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd be interested in hearing what alternatives are being used as well... Windows Sync is horrid in my little experience using it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're just looking to sync files, I've had really good luck with this: ViceVersa Software: File Synchronization, File Replication, Windows Backup Software
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Are you talking about Offline Files, or something else? I've got over 200 users with their home directories "available offline" and haven't had a single complaint.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to use Microsoft sync toy a while back to sync data to a shared drive on 3 node SOHO network. It was free, and was relatively painless.

Here is the link
    Sync Toy 2.0
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes I was talking about syncing files/folders so that they are available offline as well. There is a GPO with folder redirection that maps all "My Docs" to a folder share for them instead (this way their data is backed up). The problem is we have 1000 clients that use laptops, which only sync with the server when the clients logoff. This causes issue if they lose their wireless signal, don't logoff, or the computer crashes/virus before syncing occurs.

I'll check out the links you guys posted.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Yes I was talking about syncing files/folders so that they are available offline as well. There is a GPO with folder redirection that maps all "My Docs" to a folder share for them instead (this way their data is backed up). The problem is we have 1000 clients that use laptops, which only sync with the server when the clients logoff. This causes issue if they lose their wireless signal, don't logoff, or the computer crashes/virus before syncing occurs.

I'll check out the links you guys posted.

Check page 2 of this O'Reilly doc on folder redirection:

Using Folder Redirection - O'Reilly Media