Options

Jobless/unemployed bites.

ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
Is anyone currently unemployed?
Ever being unemployed?
If so for how long?
How was the whole experience?
How long did it take you to find a new work place?

SHARE the comments!!!!!

Also what kind of advice and tips do you have for the people who are currently going through these situations.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    - Currently employed, thankfully.
    - Yes, more than a few times.
    - Longest for about 5-6 months.
    - Not great at all. I was going crazy applying for jobs all day, and following up my applications by hounding the recruiters. The only good thing about it (if it can be considered good) was I could drink beer each evening and sleep in till about 10-11 in the morning.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I was laid off back in Feb., and have been jumping from contract job to contract job as they end (only on my third so far). Being unemployed sucks big time, and is a big kick in the teeth. But, it did give me the push I needed to go from doing a combination of Mechanical Engineering/IT as my job responsibilities, to now wanting a full IT job. So I have been trying to study up and get my MS Certs (working on 83-640 currently).

As everyone says, just hang in there and you will get a new job, it just takes time. I know I am having a hard time believing it, but you have to.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Thankfully I am currently employed. I was let go back in December and it was between 5 and 6 months later that I finally found a job. The whole experience was incredibly stressful. Unemployment took forever to get approved and we ended up selling most of what we owned, in addition to receiving food and money donations from friends and family. This is why debt is evil, it saps all your money otherwise you could live quite comfortably on very little. If it weren't for those donations we probably would not have made it through that. Best protection for periods of unemployment are your people networking skills. Those will get you back into a job the swiftest.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am currently unemployed. I tried to apply for unemployment but I can't get any benifits due to how much money I made. It's been about a half of a year and I'm still looking for jobs.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I have been in the military working IT for the last 12 years. I currently have 8 years left which is why I am beginning to work pretty hard on certifications, to get a head start on finding a job when I retire. Hopefully job outlook for the IT field improves by then....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am currently unemployed. I tried to apply for unemployment but I can't get any benifits due to how much money I made. It's been about a half of a year and I'm still looking for jobs.

icon_scratch.gif
    Really? You made too much and therefore cannot qualify?
    I've seen it where people do not qualify because they haven't earned enough, but not seen it where they've made too much.

I'm a bit curious, as I've got friends in your area. Two worked for private companies and the companies closed/downsized and they qualified. And few others in a different industries who made no less then 60K and they qualified for their $300 a week.

Did you not have enough work credit in? Or are you perhaps licensed in real estate or insurance?

My curiosity if up on this one because my understanding of IT wages around you is typically $40-60K with a few possible exceptions. Otherwise, from what I've heard, MI is handing out UI to just about everyone.

How to Know If You Are Eligible for Michigan Unemployment Benefits | eHow.com
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was out of work for all of '99-2000. At the time there was a huge surplus of young techs and little work around. I was also stuck in a small town with no job prospects.
    Applying for vacancies wasn't working; tried a different tactic and set up work experience through someone I knew. He liked my work and took me on as a contractor for a Govt rollout.

On the upside of unemployment; I played the guitar for 4 hours a day. Now I'm a kickarse finger picker. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    cece1012003cece1012003 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tell me about it! I just graduated from school in May, I'm still stuck at my current coffee shop, hardly enough to live on. I've been busting my butt looking for a job, I can't even get my foot in the door. I'm trying not to become rusty and trying for an accelerated program, but not certified at all (can't afford it). I spoke with a lot of my IT pro contacts, none of them are able to help so far.

Either my skills aren't good enough, or I'm just really unlucky. I just hope that more jobs become available in the near future.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I guess that is life !!!
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Early on in my career I was unemployed for years since leaving school. I always looked at it this way.

Eventually I will get an IT job where I end up paying loads of tax. When unemployed, it's just me getting my tax back before I pay it later. ;)
    Kam.