Options

Wireless Service In Chicago Burbs...

desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
After 4 site visit's from AT&T only to find I can get 384down/384up with no reliability, and finding out that Comcast (cable) wants 39.99/mo + taxes + 12mo. contract + 100 "professional installation"...

...I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an apartment dweller in Westmont, IL.

The ONLY short range wireless provider I can find is Fox Valley Internet and I know they know their stuff - but they're not avail. in my area icon_cry.gif . Anyone have any other ideas? At this point I'm thinking Cricket but I'm a bit leary as I'd like to run my normal suite of servers and such at home and I don't know how that'd hold up over a 3g/CDMA connection...

Comments

• Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    My parents have cricket. I don't think you'll get much better speed than what AT&T is offering. Their only option is comcast or cricket pretty much. My mom refuses to sign a contract with comcast so they went with cricket. Its an upgrade from what they previously had (AOL) but after having comcast at home with now about 12 meg download 6 meg upload it feels really slow to me.

If you can look past comcast's contracts and terrible customer service... once the internet is installed its a great service. Just not the cheapest by a longshot. You'll also be paying probably about the same for cricket. Is the AT&T service you looked at the Uverse or whatever they are offering? I think thats the only other option I have at my place. Comcast seems to have the monopoly on high speed internet around my area.
  • Options
    C4jun000C4jun000 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can try DLS. I know they are primarily NW burbs, but unsure of where all of their towers are.

DLS Internet Services - HOME - NEWS
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What else are you going to be using the internet for? The latency will cripple things like gaming and voice.