Congratulations :)
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Congratulations :)

Thanks, appreciate it.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Congrats man. There shouldn't really be any need to negotiate if it's 20K more than what you are making now. Definitely take it and run in this economy!!! Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Congrats man. There shouldn't really be any need to negotiate if it's 20K more than what you are making now. Definitely take it and run in this economy!!! Good luck!!!

Thanks!

Yeah exactly - I liked the fact that the company invested in me and the process was smooth and everyone within the company I met has been great. Looking forward to the new place - got a few weeks left here at my old place, but gives me time to wrap things up for the IT dept.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sharptech wrote: »
    Another question -

I was called by one of the company's I am looking into and they wanted be to go do a drug test which I went and did Monday (towards the end of the day.) - One of my friends and a person I worked with who is one of my references said they called a few days ago. I have not heard from them yet though. How long does it take a drug test to go through? (their will be no problems.)

Looks like they will be making an offer, but have not heard back. Should I contact them after a week or wait until they call?

Thanks

They required a drug test before making you an offer? That isn't routine.

Most employers requiring a drug test will make an offer - contingent on the successful passing of any required drug tests and/or background checks.

Hope you didn't have to pay for the test. I get angry at downtown recruiters asking to meet with you prior to submitting you to their clients. You get stuck paying for parking - then never hear back from the recruiter.
  • Options
    pipemajor wrote: »
    They required a drug test before making you an offer? That isn't routine.

Most employers requiring a drug test will make an offer - contingent on the successful passing of any required drug tests and/or background checks.

Hope you didn't have to pay for the test. I get angry at downtown recruiters asking to meet with you prior to submitting you to their clients. You get stuck paying for parking - then never hear back from the recruiter.

Well they were going to make me the offer, however the director was on vacation so they could not 'officially' make me the offer until he came back, but they wanted me to get the drug test out of the way. They paid for the drug test etc..
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Its impressive in itself to land a sys admin job with jsut an A+. To do that and get 20 grand on top of it is inconceivable.

congrats.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its impressive in itself to land a sys admin job with jsut an A+. To do that and get 20 grand on top of it is inconceivable.

Eh? As much as I (obviously) love certs, they are far from the end-all be-all. It's not uncommon (double-negative ftw) to hear about people who's knowledge far surpasses the highest-level certification in their area of expertise. There's nothing about that that's inconceivable.

Congrats to all the successful people in this thread!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Eh? As much as I (obviously) love certs, they are far from the end-all be-all. It's not uncommon (double-negative ftw) to hear about people who's knowledge far surpasses the highest-level certification in their area of expertise. There's nothing about that that's inconceivable.

Congrats to all the successful people in this thread!

I didnt mean to say that are the end all be all. But around here you cant even get your resume looked at if it isnt littered in quantitive qualifications (certs).

Plus, most people who just dont do certs, dont do them at all. Having one entry level cert shows that some effort was made to get certs, but why not more?

If i knew everything there was to know about a product, id just walk in and breeze through the certs just to have them, if it were really going to be that easy for me.

Shrug.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me,

Hate to say it, but certs are not everything. You have no idea of what kind of experience I have etc.. I worked for a consulting firm and I ran the infrastructure, which includes all technology. I managed everything from all project management, budget, people, and the list goes on. I have worked very hard to be where I am and I showed that to the people I will be working for.

Dynamik - thanks, appreciate it! You def. pointed it out, that certs are not the end result and expereince is much more valued.
  • Options
    I wasnt trying to say you werent experienced.

I work with an individual that claims he has 30 years experience in networking. And yeah, hes had networking jobs for 30 years...but he cant even connecto the console on a run of the mill 3com switch. Hes a fraud. He also claims certs are worthless and doesnt see any reason why he should have them.

Thats not to say everyone without certs is a fraud, but its just going the extra mile to try and verify the knowledge you do have.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I wasnt trying to say you werent experienced.

I work with an individual that claims he has 30 years experience in networking. And yeah, hes had networking jobs for 30 years...but he cant even connecto the console on a run of the mill 3com switch. Hes a fraud. He also claims certs are worthless and doesnt see any reason why he should have them.

Thats not to say everyone without certs is a fraud, but its just going the extra mile to try and verify the knowledge you do have.

And I'm fairly certain if that guy leaves your work, he is going to have one hell of a time trying to land a better job. Face-to-face interviews have a tendency to weed out the stupid (for lack of a better word). And for the record, everyone has somebody like that at their job (I know I do).

This just goes to show that experience (good experience) trumps all. Congrats on your new job sharptech! Sounds like it was a long time coming.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Thanks snadam!

Yeah the interviews I had went very well and the company really liked me and I felt good about this company as well. You are right that experience is very much valued.