Options

What kind of bag?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just curious what kind/make of bag everyone brings to work. (ie Messenger, backpack, briefcase) I'm in the market to get a new one and wanted to see if anyone had any opinions. Currently I have a Tumi messenger but I find as my job role is expanding I can't seem to fit all my stuff in it lol

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just use the Dell laptop bag that came with my work laptop. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I ride the motorcycle it's a backpack. If I take the car it's the crappy Dell bag. If I can help it I leave my laptop at work & use Citrix for remote access.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use a backpack, follows me everywhere I go.

FALCON-II™ BACKPACK - Backpacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)

It holds everything that I need a a heck of a lot more. I carry my notebook, netbook, tools, various cables, IDE/SATA -> USB adapter, two 2.5" external hdd's, variety of flash drives, variety of commonly used CD's, etc. Laptop and netbook are stored in sleeves within the bag.

My job takes me out all over my state for my company since we have branches all over so I always try to have everything I might need with me just in case. I also keep some emergency/survival gear just in case because I'm sometimes traveling lesser traveled areas with spotty cell service.

What kind of bag you get though really depends on the kind of work you do. If you don't go off-site to work at all then a bag that holds your notebook and power cord and not much more would probably do just fine. If you are working off-site a lot then you'll probably want something with some more carry capacity or a second bag for all of your tools and other gear. I just prefer to have one big bag with it all.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I use one of those Targus slip-cases for my laptop, and I have a very special messenger-bag that I carry books (both for school and IT) and my caffeine/cigar-stash in, (as well as a flask-o-whiskey for those stressful days):

ee_bag_large.jpg?1248144396
    And if you don't know what EscargoExpress is, then you need to check out Earthbound/Mother 2.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Amazon.com: SIERRA from Swiss Gear by Wenger Single Gusset Computer Bag: Electronics

I put my laptop bag through alot of punishment, and I needed something that would hold up. So far this has held out wonderfully for 2 and a half years
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a Swiss Gear bag as well.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a Swiss Gear as well, but it's basically just a laptop sleeve. I usually only carry around my netbook and since the bag is for a 17" laptop there is plenty of room left over for papers and other items.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I have a Swiss Gear bag as well.

I didn't know they made fanny packs.

MS
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    SYNERGY from SwissGear by Wenger Computer Backpack

Bought it in early 2006. No rips and no tears. Traveled with it for 6 months no stop. Still use it everyday. I can get 3 laptops in it with power supplies. It can get heavy at times.

Great bag.

When I don't have to carry a laptop then it's a plain jane backpack from Swiss Gear.

Overstock have good deals.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Kensington Saddlebag. Best laptop bag ever in functionality.... it's just ugly as sin...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow alot of good responses!! I will prob look at the swiss gear bags since everyone seems to like them. I used to be at a single location so my messenger was great for a laptop and a charger but I'll be traveling to branch offices now at my new job which are out of the state, and possibly a small amount of international travel. I usually have a laptop and charger, notebook, adapters of all kinds, and usually a minimum of 2 cisco books.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Highly recommend checking out the Saddlebag Pro if you want to carry that much stuff.

SaddleBag Pro Notebook Carrying Case - K62210 - Kensington

It expands out to a surprising size if needed, and you can "shrink" it down when not carrying that much, too. It can be used as a messenger style or backpack as you see fit. I also love the hardened drawer at the bottom. Very handy to put various adapters and what not and keep them from getting busted up.

Everything is very well thought out, even down to the straps for using it as a backpack or messenger bag being comfortably padded and with non-skit material on the messenger strap so it doesn't fall off your shoulder, the carrying handle being ergonomically padded to make it easier to carry.

Like I said, I love the bag for its functionality. However, it's built for functionality. It is NOT stylish!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What ever the company gives me with the laptop. I've been thinking about getting a backpack or something so my books fit better. I just never get around to it because I already have something free.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Very Happy with Swiss Gear bags.

I have a couple different ones and I've purchased several for clients over the years, they seem to be happy with the Swiss Gear.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    deyin.chendeyin.chen Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Swiss Gear, really fine
    David Chen
    NetBrain Technologies, Inc.
    NetBrain Workstation-Instant dynamic network diagramming via map
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the past year or so, I've been using the bag I got from my VMware I&C course. Before that, it was one of these monstrosities - Amazon.com: Targus TXL617 17 XL Notebook Backpack: Electronics
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.