Options

Woohoo! I made it.

7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
Graduated today with my B.A.S. in Network Security and Forensics!

Now I just hope I can find a job and start paying off the student loans and credit cards I used to make it through!

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey congratulations!!! :D
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats and good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

LOL Sadly, I own and have read that book. I worked and went to school and paid cash as long as I could until I finally had to quit due to scheduling conflicts with school. But, I figured that the amount I owe is only 50% of the salary increase I expect to get over what I was making before making it a worthwhile investment. Assuming I can find a good job soon I should be back to debt free within a year and earning double what I was before I went back to school.

Until I actually find a job this is all theoretical of course.

• Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Nice one

Good luck with the job hunt
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    7lowe wrote: »
    Graduated today with my B.A.S. in Network Security and Forensics!

Now I just hope I can find a job and start paying off the student loans and credit cards I used to make it through!

Congrats!

Nice work.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a phenomenal accomplishment. Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Security and forensics .. Nice. Well done. Wish they had sexy courses like that when I was young.

What you need to do now, before you can get into the big security consultancy stuff, is get a 2-3 year gig with a major company, government/police preferably. I am surprised your course wasn't affilaited with one of these types of organisatiopns already as they usually sponsor and head hunt from these courses. A friend of mine's son did a forensic course and there was a police college nearby and he would go on pretend raids with them and had to secure the computer equipment, etc. Some of the stuff that young guy can do is scary and I have been doing IT for 20 years.

You will learn a lot but probably won't get paid that much. It won't be shop assitant or office clerk money but it won't be brilliant either. However, it will look really good on the resume and the sorts of procedures you will learn will be what you end up selling down the line. Then maybe another 2-3 year gig in a different environment (corporate preferably to learn your potential customer base) and you should be well set up to go out on your own and start making very big bucks.

That is, if the criminal fraternity don't get their hands on you first.
    Kam.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

And Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice job, congrats!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I should be making a similar post in a short amount of time :D
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Security and forensics .. Nice. Well done. Wish they had sexy courses like that when I was young.

What you need to do now, before you can get into the big security consultancy stuff, is get a 2-3 year gig with a major company, government/police preferably. I am surprised your course wasn't affilaited with one of these types of organisatiopns already as they usually sponsor and head hunt from these courses. A friend of mine's son did a forensic course and there was a police college nearby and he would go on pretend raids with them and had to secure the computer equipment, etc. Some of the stuff that young guy can do is scary and I have been doing IT for 20 years.

You will learn a lot but probably won't get paid that much. It won't be shop assitant or office clerk money but it won't be brilliant either. However, it will look really good on the resume and the sorts of procedures you will learn will be what you end up selling down the line. Then maybe another 2-3 year gig in a different environment (corporate preferably to learn your potential customer base) and you should be well set up to go out on your own and start making very big bucks.

That is, if the criminal fraternity don't get their hands on you first.

The best I'm hoping for in this arena is the fact that the school is designated by the NSA as a "Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education" and have applied with them their CNO development program. I had a 4.0GPA so I'm hoping that'll be enough to get me an interview.

One of my classmates graduated a semester earlier and got flown to DC to interview with the NSA and offered a Network Engineering job for $80k. But, he didn't want to move to Ft. Meade and turned them down. Of course, he's retired from the Air Force and has like 20 years experience administrating and performing IDS not to mention previous security clearance. But, he said there were other people fresh out of school their interviewing as well that had no experience. I at least have a little bit. icon_smile.gif

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    R u suppose to get a job before graduate? Get the job first, experience with come and salary will get increase. Don't be greedy... OK
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!! I'll be in your shoes next year
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    7lowe wrote: »
    LOL Sadly, I own and have read that book. I worked and went to school and paid cash as long as I could until I finally had to quit due to scheduling conflicts with school. But, I figured that the amount I owe is only 50% of the salary increase I expect to get over what I was making before making it a worthwhile investment. Assuming I can find a good job soon I should be back to debt free within a year and earning double what I was before I went back to school.

Until I actually find a job this is all theoretical of course.

Ok, now for the big question - do you have any experience? icon_wink.gif

Just kidding - good luck with your job search. I hope you get the job you've always wanted.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Grinding through a degree program isn't the easiest thing to stick with - that's why employers will always value degree-holders over non degree-types.

I was one of those who started working after HS, got into data processing then jumped back into school to complete 2 AA degrees, a BBA and graduated with a USAF ROTC commission. I came out of college debt free. Uncle Sam let me work with notable IT giants such as Vint Cerf and Robert Kahn. Earned an MBA while on active duty.

There "will" be bumps in your career but they tend to be much softer with that diploma and experience in hand.