Options

2600xm dram/flash upgrade???

optixgateoptixgate Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have a quick question here,

I want to upgrade my Flash to 48MB on my 2621XM. It currently has 128D/32F. i wish to run sdm or CME on it but i dont have enough memory left after my 12.4 IOS (about 1.5MB left). But when i search around on the ebay website no one has 48F for upgrade just actual routers with 48F i can only find 32M upgrade kits. but cisco website says it can be done

what do i need to do to get this maxed out. do i need to upgrade the DRAM as well to 256 to get the 48MB Flash. never upgraded cisco memory before so im kind of a n00b at this!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    All 2600XM routers can be upgraded to support a maximum of 32MB of Flash memory and 256MB SDRAM when using both the Cisco 2600XM BootROM version 12.2(8r)(supplied with Cisco p/n BOOT-2600XM-256=) and Cisco IOS Release 12.1.3T, 12.2, 12.2T, or later Cisco IOS versions.

BOOT-2600XM-256=
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    optixgate wrote: »
    But when i search around on the ebay website no one has 48F for upgrade just actual routers with 48F i can only find 32M upgrade kits. but cisco website says it can be done
    16MB of Flash is built into the motherboard. You install a 32MB Flash SIMM to get a total of 48MB.
    what do i need to do to get this maxed out. do i need to upgrade the DRAM as well to 256 to get the 48MB Flash.
    Run "show version" and see what version of the boot ROM you have. If the System Bootstrap line has 12.2(8r) then it supports the 128MB DIMM memory sticks which allow a total of 256MB. You need to be running IOS 12.3(11)T or newer as well.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can find a bunch of useful information on the Cisco Parter Central Portable Product Sheets page.

The Router Memory pdf shows the memory options -- including the fixed 16MB that comes on the 2600XMs. They color code any notes, so check those out for ROM upgrade requirements and IOS.

The Performance and Router Module (NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility) are also good to check out.

The Integrated Services Router Quick Look pdf comes in handy if you win the Lottery while still in the planning stage of building a home Cisco lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    16MB of Flash is built into the motherboard. You install a 32MB Flash SIMM to get a total of 48MB.

Run "show version" and see what version of the boot ROM you have. If the System Bootstrap line has 12.2(8r) then it supports the 128MB DIMM memory sticks which allow a total of 256MB. You need to be running IOS 12.3(11)T or newer as well.

Thanks ALOT for EVERYONES quick responces. I was curious waiting for everyones replies last night. so i took the top case of my 2621XM and found there to only be a 16MB Flash module installed. So quickly figured out the 16MB Flash ONBOARD.

and yes my router has the "newer" bootstrap 12.2(8r) and im running 12.4 AdvancedEnterprise. so i will be upgrading my 2621XM from 128D/32F to 256D/48F in the next few days then will be installing SDM or CME

Thanks again for the awsome responces!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks ALOT for EVERYONES quick responces. I was curious waiting for everyones replies last night. so i took the top case of my 2621XM and found there to only be a 16MB Flash module installed. So quickly figured out the 16MB Flash ONBOARD.

and yes my router has the "newer" bootstrap 12.2(8r) and im running 12.4 AdvancedEnterprise. so i will be upgrading my 2621XM from 128D/32F to 256D/48F in the next few days then will be installing SDM or CME

Thanks again for the awsome responces!!!!!

OK Guys, I got the memory. all is installed BUT an issue with the flash. i dont know if its me or the flash module. i get the following

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C2600 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory
    getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
    open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0
    trouble reading device magic number
    boot: cannot open "flash:"
    boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

Then i try and erase and load a new ios from rommon and i get

rommon 8 > xmodem -c c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin
    Do not start the sending program yet...
    open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0
    trouble reading device magic number
    dir: cannot open device "flash:"
    WARNING: All existing data in bootflash will be lost!
    Invoke this application only for disaster recovery.
    Do you wish to continue? y/n [n]: y
    ERR: Not enough memory to download image
    rommon 9 >

and then with tftpdnld i get this

TFTP: Error, insufficient flash installed to load image.
    TFTP: Operation terminated.

is there something wrong with the flash module or is there something im missing

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    You tried reseating the module?
  • Options
    You tried reseating the module?

yeah 3-4 times. and when i put back in my old 16MB flash module everything works fine...

and i also put in the 2 128MB DRAM and when i boot into the 16MB Flash module it does register the 256MB DRAM
  • Options
    Might be a bad or not supported module. You could try T FTP booting a small IOS and seeing if reformatting from within IOS it will fix it.
  • Options
    Might be a bad or not supported module. You could try T FTP booting a small IOS and seeing if reformatting from within IOS it will fix it.

Nope no dice. i tryed c2600-i-mz.121-7.bin which is only 4 1/2MB in size. DAMN! im going to need to get a new one

Thanks for your time
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    boot your router into ios using tf-tpdnld -r (which will load the ios image via tf-tp and execute it into ram without storing it into flash), 12.3 ip base is only like 7MB

Once you're in ios repartition the flash into a single partition and erase it; afterwards you can tf-tp the image to flash as you normally would under ios.

When you change out an old flash SIMM and you're using an image that spans the 16MB onboard flash to the SIMM you take obviously take out half the partition. since you installed a new SIMM you have 2 partitions now that are broken; as shown below.

since you have two incomplete partitions the router cannot read the magic number which is the execution point of the first image found in flash.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorge wrote: »
    boot your router into ios using tf-tpdnld -r (which will load the ios image via tf-tp and execute it into ram without storing it into flash), 12.3 ip base is only like 7MB

Once you're in ios repartition the flash into a single partition and erase it; afterwards you can tf-tp the image to flash as you normally would under ios.

When you change out an old flash SIMM and you're using an image that spans the 16MB onboard flash to the SIMM you take obviously take out half the partition. since you installed a new SIMM you have 2 partitions now that are broken; as shown below.

since you have two incomplete partitions the router cannot read the magic number which is the execution point of the first image found in flash.

Thats great! i thought the memory was bad. OK so now i have loaded into a ip base 12.3 IOS and im at Router(config)#

I have partitioned the flash using Router(config)#partition flash-filesystem: 1 48

and i get a correct (dir flash:)

R1#dir
    Directory of flash:/
    No files in directory
    49807356 bytes total (49805848 bytes free)

BUT... then when i try and copy the IOS i get

R1#copy tftp: flash:/
    Address or name of remote host [10.10.5.254]?
    Source filename [c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin]?
    Destination filename [c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin]?
    Accessing tftp://10.10.5.254/c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin...
    Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]
    Erasing the flash filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
    Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...erased
    Erase of flash: complete
    Loading c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin from 10.10.5.254 (via FastEtherne
    t0/0): !
    %Error copying flash:/c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin (No space left on d
    evice)
    R1#
  • Options
    Partition
    partition

To separate Flash memory into partitions on Class B file system platforms, use the partition command in global configuration mode. To undo partitioning and to restore Flash memory to one partition, use the no form of this command.

Cisco 1600 Series and Cisco 3600 Series Routers
    partition flash-filesystem: I]number-of-partitions[/II]partition-size[/I
    no partition flash-filesystem:

All Other Class B Platforms
    partition flash partitions I]size1 size2[/I
    no partition flash
  • Options
    Partition
    partition

To separate Flash memory into partitions on Class B file system platforms, use the partition command in global configuration mode. To undo partitioning and to restore Flash memory to one partition, use the no form of this command.

Cisco 1600 Series and Cisco 3600 Series Routers
    partition flash-filesystem: I]number-of-partitions[/II]partition-size[/I
    no partition flash-filesystem:

All Other Class B Platforms
    partition flash partitions I]size1 size2[/I
    nopartition flash

I did exactly that. i created the new partiton for flash:
    router(config)#partition flash 1 48
    then i erased it and said it erased it seccessfully
    then i did a (dir) to see flash:

Directory of flash:/
    No files in directory
    49807356 bytes total (49805848 bytes free)

all looks well as it looks like it reading both the 16MB onboard and the 32MB module. but when i try and copy the ios to that 49MB flash: dir i get the following

Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...erased
    Loading c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin from 10.10.5.254 (via FastEthernet0/0): !
    %Error copying flash:/c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin (No space left on d
    evice)

• Options
    This was bold for a reason. icon_rolleyes.gif

To undo partitioning and to restore Flash memory to one partition, use the no
    form of this command.

• Options
    This was bold for a reason. icon_rolleyes.gif

To undo partitioning and to restore Flash memory to one partition, use the no form of this command.

Gotcha... :)

OK so. i am doing this as im typing.

So i loaded into rommon with the new 32MB flash module installed. so right now im in rommon with 48MB Flash

i am booting into the IOS via tftpdnld -r so the ios is loaded into ram
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    File reception completed.
    Self decompressing the image : ######## etc... [OK]

during the load of the router and the IOS i get

Cisco 2621XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 4.0) with 253952K/8192K bytes of memo
    ry.
    Processor board ID JPE0842109L
    M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 Serial interface
    32K bytes of NVRAM.
    49152K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

which is a good thing....

partiton: R1(config)#no partition flash
    erase flash:
    R1#erase flash:
    Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

then i install the IOS
    R1#copy tftp: flash:
    Address or name of remote host []? 10.10.5.254
    Source filename []? c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin
    Destination filename [c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin]?
    Accessing tftp://10.10.5.254/c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin...
    Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]
    Loading c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin from 10.10.5.254 (via FastEtherne
    t0/0): !
    %Error copying flash:c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin (No space left on de
    vice)

anything here im doing wrong or missing?

I cant seem to get this icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a 2621xm which I find memory limited as well, but I suspect you can't go past the 32 meg. When I reviewed the device specs on the cisco website, it clearly states 32 as max flash.
  • Options
    I have a 2621xm which I find memory limited as well, but I suspect you can't go past the 32 meg. When I reviewed the device specs on the cisco website, it clearly states 32 as max flash.
    A 2600XM takes 48MB. 16MB onboard + 32MB SIMM.
  • Options
    %Error copying flash:c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin (No space left on device)

anything here im doing wrong or missing?

I cant seem to get this icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
    You checked the size of that file? Its not been decompressed for usage in dynamips has it?
  • Options
    You checked the size of that file? Its not been decompressed for usage in dynamips has it?

no it hasent. its the normal/standard .bin file 33.7MB in size. but i have even tryed to copy over a 1kb text file and i get the same error
  • Options

yeah the 2621XM supports a max of 32MB module. but has 16MB on board which makes up the 48MB
  • Options

I think tiersten beat me to it. Sounds like he grabbed the image somewhere online and it was already decompressed for use in dynamips.

The actual 12.4(15)T9 adv ent services image for the 2600XM's should be 32.9 MB (34,601,596 bytes)
  • Options
    I think tiersten beat me to it. Sounds like he grabbed the image somewhere online and it was already decompressed for use in dynamips.

The actual 12.4(15)T9 adv ent services image for the 2600XM's should be 32.9 MB (34,601,596 bytes)

from the cisco website. it says that IOS is 33790.63KB (34601596 bytes)

in the .bin properties it says (34,601,596 bytes)

its not decompressed and image was actualy on another cisco router that is working. i also used an older 12.4 IOS that was on this router before the memory upgrade and i still get the no more memory error.
  • Options
    If that's the case then it sounds like you got a bad simm.

On your tf tp server how many bytes does it show that it sent before the router pukes?
  • Options
    If that's the case then it sounds like you got a bad simm.

On your tf tp server how many bytes does it show that it sent before the router pukes?

nothing transfered. 0kb

im thinkin its gotta be the simm. every where iv looked says you stick in the new module. and then tftpdnld boom yer done. so im going to rma the stick and ill post back to let everyone know if that was the issue

Thanks again everyone
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□

I double checked and that is correct. I hate to be wrong, but now I am going to see if I can get mine up to 48 meg.