Options

2006 or 2009 edition?

Rebster40Rebster40 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I was going to start studying for the A+ exams soon, but then I realized there was a 2009 edition, but none of the study guides I see are available until October. Would it be more beneficial to go ahead and take the exams now, or wait a couple months for the 2009 edition? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you are ready, then there is no reason to postpone taking your two exams.

Download the objectives from CompTIA and go through those. You can research the material you are not as familiar with, and if you find that you know most of it (or all of it) well, then schedule your exam.

Worst case, you can obtain a previous version book and use it in tanget with the current objectives, there will not be too much difference (there will be some) simply research the material that you do not find in the book.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    EliteProElitePro Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the 2006 exam and it was pretty easy. I only studied the mike myers 6th edition book for around 2 weeks and did my exam. Got 750, not the best, but good enough.

If you are ready, why not get it over with? 09 probably covers newer tech and stuff0rz, why not make life easier?
  • Options
    That's the thing though, I haven't started studying for it yet. I may just grab an 06 edition book and study it for a month then grab an 09 book and read up on the newer stuff in the exam then take it.
  • Options
    SatcomSatcom Member Posts: 110
    i just decided to get the 06 version and study the hell out of it... there cant be that much change i dont think.
  • Options
    I didn't figure there would be a ton of change, mostly Vista and what not, still a little unsure of what I'm going to do. I went ahead and ordered the Meyers 6th Edition book though.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Satcom wrote: »
    i just decided to get the 06 version and study the hell out of it... there cant be that much change i dont think.

All you need to do is compare the objectives to see the differences...and no, not a ton, but there are changes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    parityerrorparityerror Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Sybex book on order for the 2009 exam that should arrive in October.

For now, I am studying the 2006 material from another text.

The A+ will be my first cert, therefore I am overstudying for it...lolicon_cheers.gif

--Bill
  • Options
    Same thing I'm doing. Going to receive my 2006 edition book soon, then grab the 2009 in October and go take it.