Need Help

random12345random12345 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for Security+ on and off for about two years. I took a week long security+ class about 2 years ago, and since then every few months I would push myself to take the test, but I would always be too nervous that I'd fail. I've never done a cert test before. I have a bachelor degree in the topic, so the concepts are nothing new to me. Recently I have the time to finally do it, and I'm going to make myself do it one way or another. My problem? I waited too long, and I don't have much SY0-201 resources. Is this one much different than the old one that I would absolutely fail if I went off of the old version's learning material?

I bought the Transcender practice questions, and I'm a little disappointed in them. They seem to be almost exactly like my Exam Cram MeasureUp questions from SY0-101 with absolutely no new topics, so I'm wondering if they merely relabeled their old questions as "new".

As far as their theory goes- if I was to study their practice tests until I can get 100% on all of them, would that "guarantee" that I pass the security+ test? When I first started studying again, I was getting around 80% on the "old" material. I'm averaging about 90% on practice exams now.

Finally, are the (legal) practice exams out there pretty dead on with how the actual exam is? I notice many people here saying they passed with nothing but the Syngress book and Transcender, and many people getting 90%+ with very few failures... Is the test actually shockingly easier than the practice tests?

Thank you for bearing with the long (first) post I made.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The vast majority of the material is the same, so you should still be in pretty good shape. Hit up the objectives and see if there are any areas you feel weak in. A little googling/wikipedia research will help fill in any gaps.

I used Syngress and Transcender myself, but I don't think there's any guarantee you'll pass (though Transcender may refund your money).

I wouldn't put so much pressure on yourself and stress so much over failing. You'd probably be a lot further along with your studies/career had you taken it and failed once or twice as opposed to perpetually putting it off. Don't get me wrong, the exams aren't cheap and losing that much money will sting a bit, but no one is going to think less of you if you come up a bit short. Don't agonize over things needlessly.

And most importantly, welcome to the forums :D
  • msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat, dude. Just don't get in the habit of putting **** off like that! Buy a voucher and then it will force you to prepare for it.

It seems to me, from what you've said, that you should be more than capable of passing it. Good luck, I think you and me are quite a bit alike.

BTW I have the test scheduled for like the 24th of this next month.
  • random12345random12345 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, I'm scheduled to take my Security+ tomorrow. Any suggestions for it? Any specific topics that catches most people off guard?
    So, I'm scheduled to take my Security+ tomorrow. Any suggestions for it? Any specific topics that catches most people off guard?

Well congrats! i don't have much experience with certifications, but I've always found just relaxing the day before helps, doing something fun, exercise, et cetera. Maybe give a review sheet a once over. That said, I'm taking my certification test this 24th.

Maybe tomorrow after you pass you could give me a hint as to how intricate the questions are regarding the topics on the objectives, because I've taken a lot of practice exams and generally the really intricate questions throw me for a loop. It'd be good to konw if the questions were more general or specific, in your opinion.

Anyway, congrats on taking the plunge and be sure to write about how well you're going to do tomorrow on here!

-msbachman
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Good Luck tomorrow on the exam. Let us know how it goes.
  • random12345random12345 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed! 850/900.

There was a question here or there that came out of left field, but I think that Transcender is along the lines of far too specific on many questions and was a poor measure.

I used Exam Cram primarily. I've taken courses in the past including college courses so I guess I'm not the best to go off of... but if you've been in the field and know the topic I'd say Exam Cram is plenty as a great overview or refresher.

I also skimmed the Sybex book on a few topics I was slighty uncertain on. If you're fairly new to security, the Sybex book is a must!

Overall, not bad for my first certification. :) Now to figure out what to do next!

PS: The end of exam survey is HORRIBLE!! JUST GIVE ME MY SCORE!!
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Not bad at all, congrats!
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed! 850/900.

There was a question here or there that came out of left field, but I think that Transcender is along the lines of far too specific on many questions and was a poor measure.

I used Exam Cram primarily. I've taken courses in the past including college courses so I guess I'm not the best to go off of... but if you've been in the field and know the topic I'd say Exam Cram is plenty as a great overview or refresher.

I also skimmed the Sybex book on a few topics I was slighty uncertain on. If you're fairly new to security, the Sybex book is a must!

Overall, not bad for my first certification. :) Now to figure out what to do next!

what got you to take this one first? are you interested in a security path?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed! 850/900.

CONGRATS ON YOUR PASS - 850 / 900 is a good Score. I am planning to take mine soon with in the next 3 weeks - Use the Sybex and Syngress as my primary guides.

i have heard postive things on the exam cram guide ( but the thing is i have only the Exam cram Syo-101 guide with me - will that do the job or do u suggest i shell out $ to get my exam cram 201 book ).. Confused and not confident enough to take my exam yet....
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
    CONGRATS! I'll be there in a couple weeks with you, hope I can manage to pull out such a good score.