Options

Is it that bad?

TwinkeeTwinkee Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks, been browsing the website for a few weeks now trying to scoop up some extra info on what the A+ exam will be like.

I'm very confident in my knowledge of computers, but a lot of these practice tests I've been doing are starting to worry me a bit. There are so many questions dealing with specific dimensions and specs and I'm worried that this test is going to be more about memorizing details of outdated technology than anything else.

Do I need to just start memorizing the charts more or will the actual test be less based on these sorts of things? (I plan on taking IT Tech 602 by the way.)

Thanks for any advice. icon_mrgreen.gif

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You do know that there's two parts to obtain the A+ certification, right?
    Anyways, the questions are pretty much straight foward. I found the 602
    difficult but I was able to pass it. The practice tests just give you an
    idea of where you are in the material.

The test objectives will tell you what you need to know when taking the test.
    Anything on the objectives is fair game.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Twinkee wrote: »
    I'm very confident in my knowledge of computers, but a lot of these practice tests I've been doing are starting to worry me a bit.

Stop taking practice tests and start using the information in a real life or lab setting if you cannot get live practice.
    There are so many questions dealing with specific dimensions and specs and I'm worried that this test is going to be more about memorizing details of outdated technology than anything else.

Outdated technology? icon_scratch.gif

I'm guessing here, and no offense intended, but you don't have experience yet, right?

Because if you did, you'd see and work with on almost a daily basis all sorts of network setups, hardware in use, and if you deal with retail customers...all sorts of machines. All that 'out-dated' 'stuff' you are referencing...is what the client needs serviced. Sometimes you get to play with the new toys, but so much is PNP today, that end-users are now becoming IT experts (or so they think).

Bottom line: If it is on the objectives, it is your responsibility to know it. No one can tell you what might be on your exam...except that everything on the objectives is completely fair game.

Do I need to just start memorizing the charts more ...?
    If you do not know the material, then it may prove useful for you to invest your time to learn it.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Yes, I did know there is an Essentials exam as well.

Heh, guess there's only one way to find out...
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »

Outdated technology? icon_scratch.gif

As in ISA buses and SEC processors. Yes I understand that these things are still out there and one would eventually run into them at one point or another, and also that this test is a bit old. "Outdated" was just the best adjective I could think of at the moment...
  • Options
    skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Twinkee wrote: »
    Hi folks, been browsing the website for a few weeks now trying to scoop up some extra info on what the A+ exam will be like.

I'm very confident in my knowledge of computers, but a lot of these practice tests I've been doing are starting to worry me a bit. There are so many questions dealing with specific dimensions and specs and I'm worried that this test is going to be more about memorizing details of outdated technology than anything else.

Do I need to just start memorizing the charts more or will the actual test be less based on these sorts of things? (I plan on taking IT Tech 602 by the way.)

Thanks for any advice. icon_mrgreen.gif

No you will not have to memorize charts. You will be tested on a variety of issues. You will be tested on your troubleshooting knowledge, your knowledge of wireless networks, your professionalism, and RAM. You have know know that RAM operating at 400 MHz is known as PC3200 and PC3200 is 400MHz.

When you take the exam, many questions are going to try to throw you off. I honestly thought I was going to fail the exam, but some how I got 843/900 on the Essentials and 839/900 on the Technician. Just give it all you have, and as long as you studied, you'll pass this exam.
  • Options
    lumbercislumbercis Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This question has been bugging me a lot as well. I've seen it asked several places with unsatisfactory responses. So I'll ask it again: What level of detail should we expect on the exam?

And before someone says it "anything in the objectives is fair game" is NOT a helpful response. One can ask a question about an exam objective in a way that would require general understanding, or in a way that would require one to have specifically rote memorized the particular bit of information.

This also relates to the problem that all the preparation materials differ in what they include. For instance, the Sybex book that I have lists 28 socket/slot types. The technotes on this site list 16. The Element K textbook I got for a class lists a different amount. And if that is not confusing enough, it's still unclear how specifically questions about the sockets would be asked. Are they going to throw you something like "Which socket supports the Turion 64 processor?"

Oh yeah, another thing that annoyed me; the Element K book listed three pages of detailed specs on different CPUs (clock speed, L2 cache size, and several other specs I can't remember right now). The respected Sybex book doesn't seem to list them at all (other than on the sockets chart), and certainly doesn't include the detailed specs.

So are we supposed to memorize detailed specs for CPUs or not?

The various practice exams certainly don't help matters as they seem to differ wildly in the level of detail (for instance, virtually all the questions in the Sybex assessment test in the introduction of the book are general knowledge questions. Is this representative of the test?)

I hope I'm not coming across as whiny or lazy about this. I don't mind putting in the work, but I also hate wasting time. It's the inconsistency in the way the material is presented that is bugging me. And it is hard to know which source to trust (Sybex, Element K, this website?). It's difficult to study for a test when it isn't clear what is expected of you.

I'd like to hear from those who have taken and passed the A+ exam what their experience with level of detail was?
  • Options
    Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't expect tough questions for they are mostly general knowledge. I believe I did have some scenario type questions but they were simple. The A+ exam is entry level so it isn't meant to bombard you with complex questions, just generals.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think you're going to get hit with too many questions that ask you for a specific CPU's specs. My CompTIA exam experience has been that you'll definitely get a few frustrating questions that ask a ridiculous amount of detail, but those are also balanced out by common-sense type questions that are basically gimmes. I'd just focus on learning the major concepts and drilling down as much as you feel is reasonable.