Options

The 1U Olive

2»

Comments

• Options
    mellowdmellowd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to get this working.

I managed to get 4 IP330's off ebay quite cheaply. I've also got a null modem cable.

I've taked the WD hard drive out and stuck it in my PC. I initially had BTX halted issues, but I've put the hard drive in a much older PC and so far so good.

The main issue is when I connect the null modem cable to the IP330. All I see is 'AT' and nothing else. I've made sure the emulation is VT100, but no dice.

Does anyone know what the issue is?
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    mellowd wrote: »
    I'm trying to get this working.

I managed to get 4 IP330's off ebay quite cheaply. I've also got a null modem cable.

I've taked the WD hard drive out and stuck it in my PC. I initially had BTX halted issues, but I've put the hard drive in a much older PC and so far so good.

The main issue is when I connect the null modem cable to the IP330. All I see is 'AT' and nothing else. I've made sure the emulation is VT100, but no dice.

Does anyone know what the issue is?

Yeah I'm getting the same problem. If I connect the drive up to a PC, i can console in, move the cable over to the 330, and I get the AT problem.

I'm guessing its a pin-out issue or a bios issue, but I just can't diagnose it until I get some new cables myself icon_sad.gif
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Is it possible to upgrade the RAM to 512MB? I found some 512MB sticks for about 7 bucks and have been searching around everywhere but can't find an answer.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is anyone using a USB-to-Serial cable t console into their Olive? I'm running a Nokia IP 330 and I can console in from a windows machine with a normal 9-pin female to female console cable. My problem is I don't have a windows machine (or any machine) that has a null modem connection. So, I'm forced to use the USB-to-serial adapter. The adapter works fine when I console into my Cisco gear (using either Mac OS X or Ubuntu). When I try to access the Olive, I'm getting a blank screen on my console. Any suggestions and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I've managed to get this working, and it's pretty awesome.

However, I upgraded to 8.5 and now it won't boot. I do have 256MB ram so I know it's not that.

Rather I am seeing this on startup:

Booting [/kernel]...
    Olive CPU
    GDB: debug ports: sio
    GDB: current port: sio
    KDB: debugger backends: ddb gdb
    KDB: current backend: ddb
    Copyright (c) 1996-2008, Juniper Networks, Inc.
    All rights reserved.
    Copyright (c) 1992-2006 The FreeBSD Project.
    Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
            The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    JUNOS 8.5R2.10 #0: 2008-02-06 08:20:23 UTC
        builder@rahu.juniper.net:/volume/build/junos/8.5/release/8.5R2.10/obj-i386/sys/compile/JUNIPER
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
    CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (Unknown-class CPU)
      Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
      Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
      AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow>
    panic: CPU class not configured

For some reason, the kernel is not seeing my CPU class. When I booted Junos7.1 I saw this:
    CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (267.27-MHz 586-class CPU)
      Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
      Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
      AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
    real memory  = 268435456 (262144K bytes)

It's exactly the same box. Did Juniper remove something from the kernel that prevented it from seeing this CPU?

Has anyone got any version of 8.x/9.x or 10.x working on these boxes?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It's exactly the same box. Did Juniper remove something from the kernel that prevented it from seeing this CPU?
    Somewhere in JunOS 7.x they started to require a Pentium II class CPU or better which your K6 isn't.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Somewhere in JunOS 7.x they started to require a Pentium II class CPU or better which your K6 isn't.

That's what I thought, but seraphus seems to have 8.3 running on his 1U olive?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    That's what I thought, but seraphus seems to have 8.3 running on his 1U olive?
    Hmm. What FreeBSD are you using and did you do the upgrade process or start from scratch?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Hmm. What FreeBSD are you using and did you do the upgrade process or start from scratch?

Installed 4.4 mini - then installed JUNOS 7.1 - then upgraded to JUNOS 8.5 - once rebooted no longer started
  • Options
    nabromovnabromov Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nice post! thanks!
  • Options
    DaBirdDaBird Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have some highend crossbeams at home I picked up for very very cheap. I wondered about trying to use these as some kind of blade olive. This seems like a much better idea since I have existing Cisco infrastructure this would work perfectly with. Cheers!
  • Options
    realdreamsrealdreams Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The hardest part is to get the JunOS image icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got mine up and running on 7.3R3.6 but for some reason I cannot get physical layer up. No activity.
  • Options
    sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    Did you use a ftp server to load up the junos image?
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    With vsrx why are you guys bothering? Genuinely curious