interview tomorrow morning for IT/LAN Administrator

adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I have an interview first thing in the morning tomorrow for the position of IT/LAN Administrator.

I have CCNA Security certification, but have no practical experience in Network Support.
I have been doing Windows/Server/Application Support for a number of years.
I wanted to know the functions of the job profile & the tools network admins use these days for monitoring.

I have done my homework & have been collecting material googling tools n stuff..


Any help/ advices/interview questions will be very much appreciated.


Thanks!
Wish List :
CISSP...

Comments

  • shednikshednik Posts: 2,005Member
    Double posting will more likely discourage people from responding....

    interview tomorrow morning for IT/LAN Administrator - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    Double posting will more likely discourage people from responding....

    interview tomorrow morning for IT/LAN Administrator - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

    I see one discouraged already..
    anyway.. didn't realise while posting this that there was already a group for interview questions.
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Posts: 300Member
    As long as you didn't **** your way to your certs you should be fine. The night before an interview isn't really the time to be "cramming" so to speak, you should be preparing for this every day by learning new things.

    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's just my personal opinion. Anything you google tonight likely isn't going to help you tomorrow, you can't fake experiance. Just be honest and don't try to pretend you know about something when you really don't, you may just end up looking really dumb by doing that. Anyways, good luck!
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    As long as you didn't **** your way to your certs you should be fine. The night before an interview isn't really the time to be "cramming" so to speak, you should be preparing for this every day by learning new things.

    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's just my personal opinion. Anything you google tonight likely isn't going to help you tomorrow, you can't fake experiance. Just be honest and don't try to pretend you know about something when you really don't, you may just end up looking really dumb by doing that. Anyways, good luck!

    Thanks for the advice.. I agree with you..

    I studied my ass off for the exams so I am very well aware of the material & know it well.. what I was looking for is examples of types of questions that are asked for such positions.. I have never interviewed in US before.. for the first job, I was taken based on my experience and then was put on a project..
    I know my work very well.. and am not the person who ll fake it..
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • bgrablinbgrablin Posts: 86Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Typical Interview Questions:

    1. Tell me about yourself.
    2. Why are you leaving your current position?
    3. What do you consider your most significant accomplishment?
    4. Why do you believe you are qualified for this position? Why should I hire you?
    5. Have you ever accomplished something you did not think you could?
    6. How do you handle pressure? Do you like or dislike these situations?
    7. Good employees can take the initiative and get the job done. Can you describe yourself in terms of this statement?
    8. What is the worst or most embarrassing aspect about your career? How would you have done things differently now with 20/20 hindsight?
    9. How have you grown or changed over the past few years?
    10. What do you consider your most significant strengths?
    And those are just questions pertaining to you as an individual. Questions potentially asked about the specific job shouldn't be a big deal because you already know the material.

    Tips to answering character questions:

    1. Keep your answers brief, but be certain you answer the questions thoroughly.
    2. Use evidence, examples, data and anecdotes to illustrate your points.
    3. Think about your answer before you start to speak. It is okay to pause and collect your thoughts, and then give your answer. Try to relate your response to the position for which you are applying.
    4. Remember, most quesitons have more than one purpose. As you develop your answers, think about the match between your skills and the company's needs.
    5. Every chance you get, explain how you would go about doing a job rather than just saying you can do it. Do not volunteer information you are not asked for--you might talk yourself out of a job.
    And for god sakes, don't answer a question by purely babbling. See: Miss South Carolina
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

    My Site | Face
  • captobviouscaptobvious Posts: 648Member
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    As long as you didn't **** your way to your certs you should be fine. The night before an interview isn't really the time to be "cramming" so to speak, you should be preparing for this every day by learning new things.

    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's just my personal opinion. Anything you google tonight likely isn't going to help you tomorrow, you can't fake experiance. Just be honest and don't try to pretend you know about something when you really don't, you may just end up looking really dumb by doing that. Anyways, good luck!
    And learn how to use spell checker, very important. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • jbrad95706jbrad95706 Posts: 225Member
    Be yourself, a big part of most interviews is determining if you are a good fit for their company/department.

    Nobody knows everything - let them know that you know where to look when you get stuck.

    Try to fit in something about your home lab / how you are always working on your skills set.

    Relax

    Good luck. icon_thumright.gif
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Posts: 300Member
    And learn how to use spell checker, very important. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I spell check things I care about, forum posts are not one of those things.

    Anyways, like people keep saying just be yourself. A couple don'ts:

    Do not come accross as arrogant or cocky.
    Do not speak negatively about your current employer or previous employers. There's nothing worse than a cocky complainer!
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    And learn how to use spell checker, very important. icon_rolleyes.gif


    And try not to make an ass of yourself in the interview.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned
    Why is it whenever there's a double post, everyone always continues the discussion in the one I don't respond to? icon_cry.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Why is it whenever there's a double post, everyone always continues the discussion in the one I don't respond to? icon_cry.gif

    Damn he found us!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • miller811miller811 Posts: 897Member
    dynamik wrote: »
    Why is it whenever there's a double post, everyone always continues the discussion in the one I don't respond to? icon_cry.gif

    oh come on, it just gets you one step closer to the 10,000 th post....

    we have learned your secrets....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

    Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • captobviouscaptobvious Posts: 648Member
    dynamik wrote: »
    Why is it whenever there's a double post, everyone always continues the discussion in the one I don't respond to? icon_cry.gif
    miller811 wrote: »
    oh come on, it just gets you one step closer to the 10,000 th post....

    we have learned your secrets....
    And now the cat is out of the bag!!!!

    Answer the questions truthfully and straightforward. You'll do fine.
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Why is it whenever there's a double post, everyone always continues the discussion in the one I don't respond to? icon_cry.gif

    Thanks everyone for the responses...

    n sry dynamik.. i had read your response.. but befre i cud write back i got this verbal bash here.. icon_wink.gif
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Posts: 915Banned
    Never interviewed in the US before? Well, it depends...are you going to meet with a human resources phony or are you going to meet with a tech person?

    Cus yeah, there is some pretty exciting HR theory out there (aka BS).
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Never interviewed in the US before? Well, it depends...are you going to meet with a human resources phony or are you going to meet with a tech person?

    Cus yeah, there is some pretty exciting HR theory out there (aka BS).


    So I just got back from the interview.. and I think it went quite well... the vp operations n the hr person tuk my interview..

    They asked no technical questions, but the job is extremely technical ( a lot more than what I am doing right now. ).. lets see.. if i get a call from them, I am always up to learn new things so that should not be a problem..

    They seemed pleased with me.. but they have a few more candidates to interview.. and job profile wise, I don't think I stand much chances... cuz of what I stated... job needs much much more than what I know....

    HR lady asked for my salary which I did not share with them.. and refused politely..

    They shared the benefits with me.. don't know if this is somthing they do with everybody or was it a positive sign....

    regardless of whether i get selected or not.. i should expect a call from her is what she said.. don't have high hopes though.. =(
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned
    Dude, quit whining and send a stellar follow-up email that says you're up to the challenge and are excited to get acclimated to their environment. You've got an opportunity to really sell yourself here, go for it!
  • skrpuneskrpune Posts: 1,409Member
    dynamik wrote: »
    Dude, quit whining and send a stellar follow-up email that says you're up to the challenge and are excited to get acclimated to their environment. You've got an opportunity to really sell yourself here, go for it!
    while I might have phrased it slightly differently, I whole-heartedly agree here. Send a follow up note and it will do great things for your chances. I clinched my first IT job by sending an email after my interview, and I've heard the same from others as well. Use this opportunity to make an impression.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Dude, quit whining and send a stellar follow-up email that says you're up to the challenge and are excited to get acclimated to their environment. You've got an opportunity to really sell yourself here, go for it!

    correction.. - its dudette.. =)

    anyhow, you really think I should write them? I thought that would make me sound desperate.. Should I not wait for their email/phone call when they already said they have more people to interview...??
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned
    My humble apologies!

    And yes, you should absolutely send a thank-you/follow-up letter. That's just good etiquette. Don't ask them if they've made a decision, but thank them for their time, talk about how much you enjoyed meeting them, were impressed with their facility, etc., and above all reiterate your interest in the position and tell them why you think you would be a good fit for it.
  • trackittrackit Posts: 224Member
    From my own experience i can say that i dont get my hopes up unless i have been actually selected. I have been on interviews were i have felt that it went very well, was on the same wavelenght with the interviewer (if you know what i mean) and i have actually been said that "i really think you would suite this position well" etc, only to discover an emal a couple of days later that says "sorry, but you have not been selected" :) go figure...

    Anyway, you said that they required somebody much more technical? you mean like CCNP level or even more? Was it some company dedicated to networking or something? I mean i know that CCNA isnt high end cert, but it kinda seems to me that you got discouraged? that shouldnt happen... unless they required some CCIE or something :)
  • captobviouscaptobvious Posts: 648Member
    adeetee wrote: »
    correction.. - its dudette.. =)

    anyhow, you really think I should write them? I thought that would make me sound desperate.. Should I not wait for their email/phone call when they already said they have more people to interview...??
    dudette, if you don't reply someone else surely will. It's not like you asking for an answer just that you are excited to hit the ground running like dynamik suggested. At least thank them, again, for their time.
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    dudette, if you don't reply someone else surely will. It's not like you asking for an answer just that you are excited to hit the ground running like dynamik suggested. At least thank them, again, for their time.

    yup, I will do that.. already on it.. =)

    thankyall!!!
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just thought I will share one more update with you guys...

    I received a call from HR person yesterday around noon.. Since I had not discussed the salary part she wanted to set my expectations right & tell me they are cheapskates & can only pay a certain amount.

    I had to tell her that it will be going too low.. but I would still like to hear the outcome.. (not that I would join at that low.. but it ll be nice to know if they select me..)
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • trackittrackit Posts: 224Member
    i guess if you already said that its too low then they have no reason to select you :) I wonder how low could it be though for such job (requiering a lot more technical knowledge than CCNA/CCNA Sec).
  • thenjdukethenjduke Posts: 894Member
    Because many companies post they want this certification and that certification and the job might not entitle those skill sets that is why they are going to pay low or they are just cheepstakes. Dudette it was good they did a follow up call and do not be afraid to ask for what you deserve because they may just be trying to lowball you to see your reaction. I would state to them what you are looking for if they call you back but only in a second interview. I never discuss salary in a first interview unless they state to me that they would like me to come on board then.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • adeeteeadeetee Posts: 79Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Because many companies post they want this certification and that certification and the job might not entitle those skill sets that is why they are going to pay low or they are just cheepstakes. Dudette it was good they did a follow up call and do not be afraid to ask for what you deserve because they may just be trying to lowball you to see your reaction. I would state to them what you are looking for if they call you back but only in a second interview. I never discuss salary in a first interview unless they state to me that they would like me to come on board then.

    I agree with you... thats why i had asked them to let me know regardless...

    it all depends on if I get a call at all.. haven't heard so far..
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • captobviouscaptobvious Posts: 648Member
    adeetee wrote: »
    Just thought I will share one more update with you guys...

    I received a call from HR person yesterday around noon.. Since I had not discussed the salary part she wanted to set my expectations right & tell me they are cheapskates & can only pay a certain amount.

    I had to tell her that it will be going too low.. but I would still like to hear the outcome.. (not that I would join at that low.. but it ll be nice to know if they select me..)
    Let me get this straight....

    Th HR person told you they are cheapskates or this is your opinion?

    Then you told her you wouldn't accept this salary. Now you expect to hear back. icon_scratch.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.