Options

Passed 602 and 601

davidkgbdavidkgb Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the 602 (IT technician) exam back in January of this year and passed with a relatively comfortable score considering I had used just one book as my main studying resource.
After a busy period in February I finally managed to take the 601 (Essentials) at the end of March only to go and fail!icon_redface.gif
I was painfully close and rearranged to take the test again in May, although due to work commitments and other activities I only managed to sit the exam a few days ago in August and passed on the second attempt.

In my opinion the 602 was the easier exam with more customer related/orientated questions rather than the 601 which was more technically focused, although they are both similar and both had a few random questions thrown in where it seemed more than one answer could have been technically correct.

Having worked as a systems engineer and using what I had learned in the field, I would recommend using the compTIA A+ complete study guide by Docter, Dulaney and Skandier (Sybex) and especially the ExamCram CompTIA A+ practice questions Second edition by Charles J Brooks (The practice tests on the CD are almost a complete replication of the actual tests themselves and will provide a key insight into the type of questions a candidate is likely to face)
This site was particularly useful (obviously!) with the forums and technotes being useful for points I was unsure of.

I did also use compTIA+ 2006 book by Jean Andrews but found while it was useful in some areas it lacked in other areas and didn’t follow the exam objectives as structurally as other texts.
A lot of the free exams I came across on Google were very misleading as I often scored quite highly, some of them seem to have been online for years with irrelevant and outdated Q & A's, not that useful for the official exams.

Next plans are now for the XP Professional (270) and Network + which I hope to get by the end of the year.icon_wink.gif

So glad to finally have the A+, good luck to future takers!

Comments

• Options
    Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!

By chance did you happen to get a confirmation email when you passed your exam? I took my exam a week ago but I didn't receive one and I was going to show it to my school to get credit.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • Options
    davidkgbdavidkgb Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I took both of my tests at a Pearson Vue center, i havent as of yet received a confirmation email, although when i log in to my pearson vue account online i can see that both exams have been taken and passed.
    On my score printouts i received straight after the exams there are instructions for receiving my certificate (after passing both exams and waiting 5 business days) to log on to Your Certifications, check your personal details and submit, your certificate is then shipped to you at your registered address.
  • Options
    Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah, alright thanks for the info. I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue. Im actually thinking about doing the 270 as well but now I think I should just do the 620 instead :).
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Conrats!:)

I also took my A+ today and passed. I used the Sybex, MIke Meyers all-in-one, and ExamCram.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice review; congrats and welcome to the forums! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good job on the exams and welcome to the forums.