Options

Job in UK

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Im currently living in Ireland but was thinking of relocating to UK to get some experience as things are very slow here

Can you please advise would I comfortably live on salary i could expect around 25,000 for junior system administrator role?

Cost of living here is very high was in london recently and much cheaper than my city which is a small city in Ireland

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mate,

Where the heck do you live if your town is more expensive than london!! Pretty crazy that if its a small town. Then again, i can remember being in dublin a few years back and it was v.pricey too.

It totally depends on where you relocate to. £25K isnt great for london imo but you will get by if your simply renting a room in a flat. have a look on sites like jobserve and cwjobs to have a look at opportunities around england and start applying.

People who live in london will be able to tell you better than me though :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    nel wrote: »
    Hi Mate,

Where the heck do you live if your town is more expensive than london!! Pretty crazy that if its a small town. Then again, i can remember being in dublin a few years back and it was v.pricey too.

It totally depends on where you relocate to. £25K isnt great for london imo but you will get by if your simply renting a room in a flat. have a look on sites like jobserve and cwjobs to have a look at opportunities around england and start applying.

People who live in london will be able to tell you better than me though :D

Thanks I live in cork south ireland

ireland is very expensive on the whole

Noel
  • Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    Yeah Ireland can be quite expensive. I'd be suprised if it's more expensive than London though.

£25,000 is probably the minimum you would want to earn. You'd have to get a flatsahre rather than you're own flat. Also you'd be on about £1600 a month after tax and national insurance for reference.

Unless you've got a good degree/certs/experience you could be looking for a while, from what I've seen the lower end jobs are pretty saturated with applicants at the moment and it's damn hard to get your foot in the door if you've not got a bit of experience.
  • Options
    Hi

Yes ive a degree and mcsa in 2003. Also have 3 years on helpdesk-level 1

Its time to move I hope to have mcse and ccna by Summer 2010

Hope the ccna will help me

What ye think
    Noel
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNA will help you. Of all of the entry level networking certs its the most recognized. CCNA caries big value for the effort.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah CCNA carries itself well. You could also possibly finish your MCSE because they go well together and may help you to step up to the next level.

Try finding a job before you relocate though because your money will soon run out in London. When i was thinking of moving there i had a browse for flatshares and i was looking at £500 pcm at a minimum (and steeply rising). Im not sure what its like at the moment but i doubt much has changed. Also remember public transport is pretty pricey down there - incase you have to use it to get to work.

The OP is right, your looking at approx £1575ish after tax etc on £25K.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hi,

As someone who lives and works in London:-

- You can get a flatshare as nel said for around £500, mine is £400 for a zone 5 suburb of London, for barely a double room though, rest of the flat has got a fair amount of space, unfurnished aside from washing machine and fridge.

- Travel is expensive. Zones 1-5 monthly will cost you £169 (not sure about annual prices as I havent got one yet). Advantage being you can travel on busses, trams, national rail lines (who allow oyster use) and underground.

- Food and alchohol is expensive, very expensive.

Can you survive on that salary in London? Yes. But of course it depends on whether you have student loans, kids, better half or a shoe obsessed bit on the side.

I just paid off my last bit of loan debt, and even though I have none of the above commitment's (apart from the shoe obsessed bit on the side) I am living fairly well and saving money.

Nel's figure for after tax and national insurance is the closest ;)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nel wrote: »
    Try finding a job before you relocate though because your money will soon run out in London. When i was thinking of moving there i had a browse for flatshares and i was looking at £500 pcm at a minimum (and steeply rising). Im not sure what its like at the moment but i doubt much has changed. Also remember public transport is pretty pricey down there - incase you have to use it to get to work.

Flatshares are around the same still worth a look on Gumtree for more clarity.

Public transport aint to bad, I pay approx £116 monthly for 1-3 zone travel card, used to be 98 for zones 1-2 but I moved lol That covers all tubes n busses and some overland trains 7 days a week I get my monies worth out of it. icon_smile.gif

But as others have said works tight at the moment, but if your thinking summer next year hopefully things should've picked up by then. icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Hi there

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the comments very helpful

Definetly food for thought

Noel
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Just as an add on if your not that fussed where you are in the uk I'd look at some of the places outside of London.
    I know Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham can offer similar salaries (outside of recession and probably inside tho I've not looked lately) and the cost of living is considerably lower.

oh fwiw zone 1-3 annual ticket is around approx 1200 swmbo pays that way lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)