Advice needed on buying laptop (London)

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
A friend of mine called me looking for my 'advice' on buying a laptop telling me I must know all about it. LOL! She's in London. It has been a good while since I've shopped for a laptop/PC.

They basically need a laptop for family use (Internet, email, and a bit of gaming). Any good deals/places you know of? Just looking for an average price. I looked at Dell UK online, but I'm sure you more than I do.

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you could always try the dell outlet for refurbs. My friend picked up a good deal for a family laptop - Core 2 duo 2ghz, 250GB HDD, 3GB ram, Vista home prem etc for £250! Apparently it had a "surface scratch" but when delivered we couldnt see a mark on it! i dont think you could go wrong for that price tbh:

Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks buddy, I will check it out!
  • steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tend to deflect these requests for advice, saying that I do not have time to keep up with the speed at which new models come out and current models get discontinued. Most people that ask this are actually looking for the cheapest laptop, not the best, so they will come running to you when the piece of crap they buy fails.

I would have to do just as much research as they would have to. I would not ask a doctor friend to look at my unusual rash or ask an accountant friend to have a look at my tax returns.

Even close family and friends, I just tell them to buy a Dell, it's got the best interface for choosing options on the website so they are most likely to leave me alone. Also, they will have heard of Dell, and Dell prices are not too bad so you are really just telling them what they want to hear.

I also tell them to buy an extended warranty. Those things are a rip-off, but when the laptop inevitably fails, and they come to me, I can say "I recommended that you buy an extended warranty"
  • tomkentomken Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure if they sell this one in the UK or not, but I recently purchased an ASUS U81A from Best Buy for 650USD!! I would highly recommend this laptop to anyone. It weighs just under 4 pounds and is a 14" widescreen, Intel Centrino T6500 2.1Ghz Dual Core CPU, 4GB Ram, a 320GB HDD, webcam, wirless n and many other features. The best thing is that the battery is awesome. I have been getting no less than 6 hours per charge. The only thing I do not like about it is the high gloss black finish. It is a fingerprint nightmare. I just make sure to have a soft rag in my laptop bag at all times!!!!
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    steve_f wrote: »
    I tend to deflect these requests for advice, saying that I do not have time to keep up with the speed at which new models come out and current models get discontinued. Most people that ask this are actually looking for the cheapest laptop, not the best, so they will come running to you when the piece of crap they buy fails.

I would have to do just as much research as they would have to. I would not ask a doctor friend to look at my unusual rash or ask an accountant friend to have a look at my tax returns.

Even close family and friends, I just tell them to buy a Dell, it's got the best interface for choosing options on the website so they are most likely to leave me alone. Also, they will have heard of Dell, and Dell prices are not too bad so you are really just telling them what they want to hear.

I also tell them to buy an extended warranty. Those things are a rip-off, but when the laptop inevitably fails, and they come to me, I can say "I recommended that you buy an extended warranty"

Why not offer a little advice, and simply be firm about not dishing out free help if/when it does fail later on? Not be be harsh, but you're an IT guy - if you say you don't have the time to keep up on what's a good buy they are likely to think you are just avoiding them. And telling someone to buy an extended warranty, while you acknowledge they are a rip-off (I agree, unless it's one with accidental damage for a frequent traveler or college student living on campus), just so you have a cop out if someone comes to you if it fails is really quite silly. I'm sorry, but man up and don't be afraid to tell people they need to contact the manufacturer or charge them if they want you to look at things. Or simply do not offer any advice at all if you are going to suggest people waste money just to give you an easy out.

I am asked all the time about what kind of desktop/notebook recommendations I have for home/office type use, I always suggest what we have been currently buying because I know it's reliable and still a pretty good value. If they don't like the price and want something really low end, I tell them why I would avoid very low end equipment and tell them I wouldn't be able to make a suggestion for anything like that.
  • steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not be be harsh, but you're an IT guy

There are hundreds of IT job titles where a knowledge of/enthusiasm for consumer products is not necessary.

I am focused on enterprise level IT and will not spend my time researching crappy consumer gear. I did that for years - and I did it well - but I'm not going back to it.

I have done my time in the consumer trenches. It was worthwhile but untimately horrible.