Options

Senior in college - Direction after graduation?

mav2005mav2005 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am currently a senior in college and my major is Management Information Systems (under the Business Administration umbrella) with a 3.8 GPA. Upon graduation day, I'll have five years of experience working as a systems administrator. In addition, I've handled all of the typical desktop support roles for ten users.

The setup that I administer includes three servers running Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 and one SQL Server 2000 installation. I have experience with Microsoft Dynamics, a CSC claims management software package, and Web Intelligence reporting software (BusinessObjects). I've also handled the installation of a Watchguard firewall and some limited configuration of a CISCO 2500 router.

Currently I am finishing up the MCSE 2003 certification and then I'll be completing a SQL Server certification in collaboration with upgrading from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008.

What jobs can I look forward to upon graduation from college? Would I qualify to take on a systems administrator role for a larger business? The business I work for only has ten users, so I don't have the large server farm experience. Are there any certifications for Web Intelligence reporting software from BusinessObjects? I am also interested in the database administrator jobs, but they seem to be hard to get. Any advice on my situation or what I could do to improve my odds of finding a good paying IT job?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, you seem to be in pretty good shape with a degree, experience, and certifications. I'd work on your networking (in regards to people). Try and make some contacts on linked-in, user groups, etc. Check out this thread for some other suggestions.

Also, would the Business Intelligence Developer MCITP be what you're looking for?
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    You are leaps and bounds over most college grads. The experience itself is going to be a huge plus for you, let alone the degree and the certs. You should be in good shape to get a role as a systems admin, or a database admin if you are good with SQL. With 5 years experience you are looking in the mid level career market. That's awesome for someone who is just getting out of school.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't want to provide negative feedback, but it is sad. After five yrs experience and a college degree. YOU still don't know what you want and what type of job that you should look for. It is very bad.

Did you talk to your school counselor?

Did you look at the IT market at your local area?

Any internship with the company, mentor or any society network..!

Do your research for the company before moving out of state or anywhere, don't get crazy about salary right now.

Is there any specific location that you have in your mind?
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn