Which exams in which order

origdavorigdav MemberMember Posts: 39 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm not sure where to focus my attention regarding exams. My situation is this:

- I'm one exam (70-291) off being MCSA 2003
- I'm about to go on a Server 2008 course
- I'm also studying for Exchange 2007 (70-236)

This is the plan I've come up with...

- Since I'm going on this course it'd surely be silly to not study for and hopefully be qualified as an MCITP: Server Administrator.

- I think it'd be better to have both MCSA 2003 and MCITP so would people agree doing the upgrade exam (70-648 ) instead of 70-640 and 70-642 would be the better idea? This way I'd be both fully MCSA 2003 and MCITP. Can I do the upgrade exam before technically passing 70-291?

- Does anyone think it's a waste of time doing 70-648 and I may as well go for the separate exams as I'd still have to pass 3 anyway:

70-291 + 70-648 + 70-646 or
70-640 + 70-642 + 70-646

Thanks

Comments

• Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why stop at your MCSA? Why not achieve MCSE status?

MCSE is still the desired cert to have, not many job's are looking for MCITP just yet. I'm sure it will come around but its a SLOW process.

If it were me, I would finish the MCSE 2K3 track then take the upgrade exams to MCITP (646,647) exams.
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • origdavorigdav Member Member Posts: 39 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's a good question - I'd probably prefer to get the MCSE equivalent in 2008 than study 5 year old technology to be honest.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    origdav wrote: »
    It's a good question - I'd probably prefer to get the MCSE equivalent in 2008 than study 5 year old technology to be honest.

I'm personally going the MCITP: EA route, because my work would cover that vs the MCSE. Otherwise I would go MCSE especially considering you're an exam away from MCSA. There isn't a lot of recognition quite yet for the MCITP: SA or EA, a great deal of employers don't even know what those are and are still looking for MCSE's. Just something to think about.
    Otherwise I would go MCSE especially considering you're an exam away from MCSA.

Definately do the upgrade exam then and 291 at the very least to get both bits of paper.

Can anyone confirm my belief that I can infact do the upgrade exam before technically passing 70-291?

Thanks
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you were just starting I would tell you to skip MCSA and just do 2008. Since you are almost there I would go this route 70-291 + 70-648 + 70-646.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Definately do the upgrade exam then and 291 at the very least to get both bits of paper.

Can anyone confirm my belief that I can infact do the upgrade exam before technically passing 70-291?

Thanks

You can actually take the upgrade exam prior to getting the MCSA, but it wont give you the two certs you get with the upgrade until youve reached the MCSA.

hope that makes sense.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    You can actually take the upgrade exam prior to getting the MCSA, but it wont give you the two certs you get with the upgrade until youve reached the MCSA.

hope that makes sense.

Perfect sense. So the web site won't show both certs until all exams are passed when it'll realise I qualify and then update.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Perfect sense. So the web site won't show both certs until all exams are passed when it'll realise I qualify and then update.

Right.

It will show

"70-648: Upgrade MCSA to MCITP SA: Passed"

but it wont show

"MCTS: Active Directory
    MCTS: 2008 Network Infrastructure"

until you get the MCSA as well