Options

Started school

chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
its been a while since i posted but i just want you guys to know that i started school. I was going to major in computer science, the advisor she asked me whats my goal so i told her network administrator(i wasn't that sure) and she told me that i should switch my major to Computer information systems because C.S. is geared more from engineers and programmers...what do you guys think about that?

Comments

• Options
    Ericthemaster86Ericthemaster86 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, congratulations on starting school. A college degree is the absolute best thing you can do for your career.

The advice that you were given is absolutely correct.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Congrats on starting school, it will definitely benefit you in the long run.

It all depends no the way that University is specifically set up. Do they have an actually "Networking" degree. Sometimes they call it Networking and Communications Management. If not, check out the courses in the CIS track. Make sure there are networking courses in it and not jut programming. My university has a CIS track which is mainly programming (you can concentrate in things such as: database administrator, web management and development, information security, etc...) and then they have a separate networking degree.
  • Options
    kevinbrownkevinbrown Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is true that Computer science lays emphasis on programming concepts. For the CIS part I agree to what Bill has to say. A CIS degree also focuses on programming, intermediate and advanced database analysis, computer security etc. You actually need to ascertain that which networking course the CIS curriculum at your college comprises of, since most of the Universities and Colleges have exclusive computer networking degrees to offer.

All the best!!! Hope this helps.