Options

Recommendations for laptop backpack?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
About a month ago I picked up a used Apple MacBook Pro, with 13" screen. This is my second laptop and for my first I had a Body Glove sleeve, which really didn't protect it.

I'm in the market for some sort of case/backpack, and recommendations?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    About a month ago I picked up a used Apple MacBook Pro, with 13" screen. This is my second laptop and for my first I had a Body Glove sleeve, which really didn't protect it.

I'm in the market for some sort of case/backpack, and recommendations?

thanks

I have the old school version of this swiss gear bag, and I love it!

Swiss_Gear_Pegasus.jpg
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    +1 for Swiss gear.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    kimanyd wrote: »
    +1 for Swiss gear.
    +2. I was lucky enough to get one of these from work, and MAN is it awesome. I can carry my laptop (Dell XPS M1210) and my school books and it feels wonderful on my back - like I'm barely carrying anything at all. My only complaint is that the laptop stowing area is designed for larger/longer laptops. Mine's only a 12" screen and while the width/depth of the laptop pocket is perfect, it's built to accommodate longer laptops - the velcro strap at the top doesn't really keep it from moving vertically. But as long as I'm not tossing the bag around, it's more than safe. And that bag really does feel like a dream. At some point, I may bust out the sewing kit and attach some velcro to that strap at a different point to keep the laptop a little more secured, but that's not at the top of my to-do list right now.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    +3

Love Swiss Gear bags.

Check out NewEgg Mall too!
    Neweggmall.com - Wenger Swiss Army Lucerne Lite Backpack
    (there are at least 2 colors now, a green and a charcoal...not much difference).

And I really love:
    (just needed one that was less 'bright')
    Maxxum GA-7303-06 Wenger Business Gear Backpack
    (I have the red one, slightly different model, but similar and well organized).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm probably the only oddball that likes using a backpack more geared for outdoors/tactical purposes. But I love the Maxpedition Falcon-II, just because I carry a lot of stuff and it's very spacious with a lot of compartments for storage. I also have a smaller notebook and the majority of the laptop specific bags didn't fit snug enough for my liking so I keep my notebook inside a sleeve within my bag.

It also has PALS webbing to attach molle or alice accessories so if you need to carry a bunch of extra magazines, err I mean trouleshooting gear, you can.

FALCON-II™ BACKPACK - Backpacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)

Although that probably isn't practical for most people, I just carry everything I could possibly need with me.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I was actually just about to post regarding the Maxpedition bags. Depending on what you use them for, you may want to look at them. I carry mine daily, to and from work and customer sites. I have it outdoors, indoors, in dirty areas, etc. A "normal" laptop bag never lasts me longer than a couple months.

I've had the Maxpedition Tactical Attache' for about two years now and I've been extremely pleased with it. My strap recently broke and I'm in the market for a new one. I think I'll go with the slightly larger version they recently came out with.

Here is the one I have.
    Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache (#0605) ? The Gadgeteer

The problem I had with most Maxpedition bags is the fact that very few of them are actually designed to carry a laptop. This one and a couple others are, however. There's not a huge selection, but if you're looking for something other than a typical laptop bag or carrying case, give them a look.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    +4 for Swiss Gear. Great bags and fit all the tools in as well. Have a life time guarentee apparently.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Awesome feedback everyone. Thanks for the pros/cons.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Hmmm....Not able to find any Swiss Gear Bags that would fit my Apple laptop (13.3" screen size).

I was able to only find one on New Egg's site, although it wasn't Swiss Gear:

Newegg.com - Rosewill Black/Red 13.3" Vertical Messenger for Netbooks and Portable Notebooks Model RBG-13301MS - Laptop Cases For Him

I even put Swiss Gear Bags 13.3" directly into Google and didn't come back with anything.

Any recommendations?

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Hmmm....Not able to find any Swiss Gear Bags that would fit my Apple laptop (13.3" screen size).

I was able to only find one on New Egg's site, although it wasn't Swiss Gear:

Newegg.com - Rosewill Black/Red 13.3" Vertical Messenger for Netbooks and Portable Notebooks Model RBG-13301MS - Laptop Cases For Him

I even put Swiss Gear Bags 13.3" directly into Google and didn't come back with anything.

Any recommendations?

thanks

Swiss Army Laptop Backpacks and Bags by Wenger SwissGear - Buy.com

IF the bag will support a 15", your 13.3" will fit. I have a bag to fit my 15" MacBook Pro and it supports up to a 17" screen, but it's not slop room, I find it allows me to slide it in and out without hassle.

So you are looking for the attache type rather then a backpack?

Roswell is NE house brand. Typically their housebrand products are very good.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Check out eBags - Largest Selection Of Handbags, Backpacks, Luggage & More - eBags I bought a backpack from them two years ago and it's still in great shape. The great thing about them is they have measurements for the laptop compartment in your backpack.

This is the bag I bought: eBags Downloader Laptop Backpack > Laptop Backpacks > Backpacks - eBags

Also don't forget to check that bag finder wizard in the upper left hand corner, it looks pretty handy for finding the perfect fit for your laptop.
  • Options
    deyin.chendeyin.chen Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am using the Mountain Hardware bag. a famous outdoor brand. the bag is excellent with fashion appearance. most important, it is made by water-proof materials, which could guarantee to keep you laptop dry
    David Chen
    NetBrain Technologies, Inc.
    NetBrain Workstation-Instant dynamic network diagramming via map
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Guys, I picked up the Swiss Gear Bag and its working out great, thanks!

-unknown
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Lifetime guarentee too
    Kam.