Options

Hey guys! I'm new here and I have a few questions regarding certs.

nkpnkp Member Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I'm new here to techexams.net and I had a few quick questions and advice on certifications. Currently I am studying at my local community college for my A.A.S in Computer Information Systems with the option to eventually transfer for my B.S. (If I can afford it and have the credits to transfer) Anyways, I have only been studying at my school for about 9 months or so now and the only cert I currently have is the Certiport IC3 (not really IT related) My question is, what certs would you specifically go for and what order? I have a very good knowledge in computer hardware, software, and some networking. (I start Cisco training in the Fall) I do know that the CompTIA certs should come first and I have been ready for my A+ for a while now (Procrastination is evil) but what should come next? I guess my ultimate goal is to become a network or system administrator. Also, I am not very knowledgeable in Linux other than basic Ubuntu, do you guys feel that it is a must to learn and become certified in Linux?

Thanks for your time and I'm glad I found this site! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the site!

My opinion: do the A+, do CCNA, then get MCSE.

A+ is foundational for service jobs, but you need to know hardware anywhere you go.
    Whatever you do, you need networking background so CCNA is the beginning, and you will need Microsoft operating systems wherever you go, so work for MCSE or one of the other Admin/Engineering certs.

Learn linux as you go. Try different flavors and upgrades--it never ends! But kernel will always be kernel. You can decide on linux certs later.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Comptia dont necessarily come first. You really may not need to do them at all - depending on your employer's requirements and your experience.

The first thing you need to do is figure out what you want to do.

If you want helpdesk, start with the A+/N+/MCDST
    If you want to go straight networking, N+/CCNA
    If you want to go administration, MCSA (or its W2k8 counterpart)
    If you want to go programming or web, look at the MCTS exams for .NET and VS2008
    If you want to go database, look at 70-431 (or its SQL 2k8 counterpart)
    If you want to go security, look at Sec+/CCNA

Once you know what you want to go after, then come up with a budget for your study materials. After you get your study materials (get at least 2), then plan out your studies on a calendar. When you are almost ready, purchase the voucher and schedule the exam to keep your motivation up.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome!

I would encourage you to go on for Bachelor degree if at all possible. As far as the certs go I think Brad covered that well. If you are going after Network Administration I think the A+ is really not needed.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    See how you like the Cisco training in the fall. If you find that you enjoy it, why not go for the CCNA first? For what it's worth, I've gotten more attention with a CCNA than I ever did with an MCSE. It might just be that I have both though... Not sure.