Options

Fed Up!

MartinCoxxMartinCoxx Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

First post, so go easy on me! I hope this is in the right sub forum, I wasn't sure whether it should be in General or Off-Topic, but anyway...

As you may have guessed, my name's Martin, I'm from England and I've worked in the IT industry for just short of 5 years. I started out as a 1st Line Tech Support Junior, I switched jobs a couple of times over the last 5 years and I'm currently working as Dep. IT Manager, funnily enough for the first company that I started out at.

I think over the last 5 years I've just continually headed in the wrong direction, career-wise. I'm not really satisfied with my current job, or the sector that I'm currently working in. I've moved towards the management of IT, as apposed to being hands on. I really don't want this to be my area of expertise. As I have probably been unhappy in my work for around 12 months, I think I've lost interest in my passion, IT. I don't work with anyone who shares my passion, I don't have friends who share my passion either, so I'm not able to share my enthusiasm for what I love!

I really want to start heading in a new direction, I've always had a huge interest in security and networking, so I'd like to pursue these areas. I'm unsure where to start though, I want to do some certs, not for the sake of havng a cert, but for the knowledge that it will give me. Ideally, I'd love to end up in the security sector, but with a background in networking. I think it'd be easier to move into networking sooner than in would be security?

What certs would I need to pursue? I presume I'd need to start with a CCNA and then maybe CCNP? What about security certs? (remember I'm after knoweledge, not the most prestigious).

I really want to get my passion for IT back! I think that's what always set me out from other people. Has anyone else felt like this about IT before? I mean, I still love IT. It's just hard to be passionate about something in complete isolation.

I suppose I'm using this forum, and you good people as an attempt at motivating and bettering myself, maybe make a few friends on the way.

Help me get my mojo back!

Thanks

Martin

Comments

• Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    I think the Security+, CCNA, and CCNA: Security would be a good start for you. Try landing a networking gig after getting those and then move on to the pro-level certs.

You're not going to be in isolation around here. Welcome to the forums and good luck!
  • Options
    I hope I can make myself study and achieve this as soon as humanly possible. My current job is really getting me down. I suppose that's motivation in itself though. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit in 20+ hours of study / practical time per week! Maybe a little ambitious, but we'll see!

Do most people find that Sec+ is easy enough with just a couple of books? If so, what books?

Thanks

Martin
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    check here: SECURITY+ - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

should have some decent notes and many books to choose from. good luck
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Martin

given your 5 years exp as a IT Mgr - have you given any thought on Certs like ITIL or Project Mgmt.

Well as for the security field start off with Sec+ and later on to CISSP or CCSP .

Good luck
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Hi

I think I may have worded that badly. My role has always been based in IT Support, it's the last 4 months where I have been working at Management level.

I think I made a bad decision wanting to move into management, it really does nothing for me, I don't find it easy and certainly don't find satisfaction in it. I'm not keen on the idea of 'management' being my area of expertise.

Want I think I may do, based on the opinions of you guys is study CCNA and Sec+ at the same time, hopefully I can get this completed in a short'ish amount of time. That way, I'll be able to move sectors sooner, rather than later. I don't want to be sitting around studying for too long whilst I'm not enjoying my day, I think that'll be really difficult.

Hopefully I can chuck about 20 hours per week in to the studying, not sure how long it usually take to complete CCNA? How long did it take some of you?

Thanks

Martin