Vista Wireless Networking.

b.cherner@gmail.comb.cherner@gmail.com Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello again,

Trying to add a vista wireless laptop to the Workgroup pier to pier network in the office. I ran it through the name and network change. All the other machines are on XP. It sees the wireless Linksys router and grabs the internet, but it does not see the other computers or the shared folders. How do I make this work. Thank you.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hello again,

Trying to add a vista wireless laptop to the Workgroup pier to pier network in the office. I ran it through the name and network change. All the other machines are on XP. It sees the wireless Linksys router and grabs the internet, but it does not see the other computers or the shared folders. How do I make this work. Thank you.

Peer-to-peer perhaps ;)

Which flavor of Vista are you using?

Have you looked here?
    Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking
    Build a Peer-to-Peer Network with Windows Vista - Ethernet or Wireless - Softpedia
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Windows-Vista-Small-Networking-52693.shtml
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • b.cherner@gmail.comb.cherner@gmail.com Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Using the silly Home Basic Vista.
    Thank you for the links. Didn't notice them first time I glanced at your posting.
  • fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah they messed up with Vista, there is a hefty list of things you have to do to get Vista PCs to network with XP PCs.
    Can you tell me where I can find this list of things? I have been looking at those links above, but so far I find everything to do with only Vista, not the mixed environment. Thank you.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    turn on Network Discovery and Network File Sharing.
    Its already done. It only sees the router and the Vista computer for some reason.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not using Norton Internet Security are you? You have to add each machine that you want to see. Vista sucks, nothing makes me cry more then when I get a call or e-mail to look at a machine and find out it's Vista!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    No, no, no. Say no to NORTON. Just AVG. I set up 7 XP machines as Workgroup network and they work and talk just fine. Now we bought 3 dell laptops with Vista and I just can't get them to see the XP machines.
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Can you ping the Vista units?

What happens if you do a Run>\\Hostname\Sharename or [URL="file://\\IP"]\\IP[/URL] Address\Sharename

Are there any security suites installed? Trials?

Is password protected sharing turned off?

If we knew these it would help a bit more.