Windows 7

2»

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    stuh84 wrote: »
    My complaint has always been it doesn't take long for it to slow everything to a crawl. If you are running quad core processors with 16GB of ram or whatever, you'll probably never notice, but everything I've installed and ran it on has been fairly mid-level specs, and it doesn't take long before the system starts to bog down.

Case in point (there are many others I've experienced, but this is the best one I can think of), I had a spare laptop, not amazing specs, AMD Turion 64, gig of ram, 80GB hard drive, as I mention not amazing, but they were good enough, Vista went on it. I was impressed initially, but after 3 months it became too slow to use.

Well, like I said. I've got it on a Desktop with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (so no Hyper Threading) with 1 GB RAM and it runs ok. It's tollerable to use. So I think a lot of the slowness deppends on what you have running and how the OS is configured. But I have to agree in principle with what you are saying. Linux runs much more smoothly on my laptop than Vista ever did. But I also have far fewer processes running under Linux than I did in Vista.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't think of anything that I dislike about Windows 7 now that I'm used to it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    blargoe wrote: »
    I can't think of anything that I dislike about Windows 7 now that I'm used to it.
    *sigh* I can. I assume this will be a patch-right-now patch and not the regular tuesday ones. It isn't just Windows 7 however. Vista and maybe Server 2008 are affected.

Apart from that however, Windows 7 is working well for me.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Well, like I said. I've got it on a Desktop with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (so no Hyper Threading) with 1 GB RAM and it runs ok. It's tollerable to use. So I think a lot of the slowness deppends on what you have running and how the OS is configured. But I have to agree in principle with what you are saying. Linux runs much more smoothly on my laptop than Vista ever did. But I also have far fewer processes running under Linux than I did in Vista.

As mentioned, I had nothing more than MSN and firefox for a couple of forums, along with the usual virus checking/firewalling stuff. I had the page file high enough to accommodate the RAM (minimum same as the RAM, maximum double the RAM), and disabled everything I could get away with without crippling the system, and just had no luck with it.

As I say though, if Windows 7 were to change that, I'd use it every day, but I'm gonna wait and see what the general feel is from people out there, I don't even own a PC to put it on anymore.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    First off, I don't really use MS products for my personal stuff. I really do prefer Mac or Linux over Microsoft. I was however a server admin for a few years and Windows is just about all I worked on. Over all Microsoft products are very good. I dont really understand the hate. MS server platforms are pretty solid/reliable and generally a lot less of a hassle to admin than a *nix box (YMMV). I really didn't care for Vista. I thought it was rather slow and buggy. I had several issues with it when it first came out, so it just left a bad memory of it. Windows 7 does look very good. I've gotten to use it, and I can say I have no real complaints.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »
    Am i the only person who still hasnt used Windows7? :D

Nope. I probably won't use it until I have to, like at work or something. I am sticking with XP/Vista and then I am moving to Ubuntu full-time.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What annoys me is that they haven't kept up the pace with the mouse. Screen resolution has greatly increased since Win95 and the fastest mouse speed doesn't cut it when using 2x 1900 res monitors.

It also annoyed me that they changed/hid the Show Desktop button. Took me a while to find it.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    *sigh* I can. I assume this will be a patch-right-now patch and not the regular tuesday ones. It isn't just Windows 7 however. Vista and maybe Server 2008 are affected.

Apart from that however, Windows 7 is working well for me.

Researchers fret over new Microsoft SMB vulnerability - SC Magazine US
    But experts disagreed, saying the flawed code does not appear to be in the final version Windows 7, scheduled for release on Oct. 22.

Looks like Windows 7 remains intact.
  • deyin.chendeyin.chen Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    faster, more stable, beautiful themes...
    David Chen
    NetBrain Technologies, Inc.
    NetBrain Workstation-Instant dynamic network diagramming via map
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]