Reentering after 7 year absence

exgeekexgeek Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Coming out of retirement at age 51 - I have 9 years rich experience in networking from 1993-2002, and an entire career in IT before then. I had a CCNA which lapsed in 2005 - question is would be be worthwhile to try to reobtain my CCNA outright, or should I try the CCENT then CCNA. It seems there is some overlapping study requirements between the two exams.

Comments

• TBellamyTBellamy Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wecome back, young fella.

icon_wink.gif

You will have to learn the same stuff either way. I did the two exam route because I wanted to be tested on more questions as learning was my primary goal, and getting the cert was secondary.
  • NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    exgeek wrote: »
    Coming out of retirement at age 51 - I have 9 years rich experience in networking from 1993-2002, and an entire career in IT before then. I had a CCNA which lapsed in 2005 - question is would be be worthwhile to try to reobtain my CCNA outright, or should I try the CCENT then CCNA. It seems there is some overlapping study requirements between the two exams.

The curriculum has changed so I wouldn't say it would just be a case of refreshing what you learned in 2002 as there is new topics and things were changed quite a bit.

That said either way is fine, but most tend to opt for the CCENT first. The CCENT topics are built upon in the ICND2 and things flow nicely into the second group of topics.

Seeing as you have plenty of experience and have done CCNA before I'd say take a look at some study material for the CCENT and get a rough idea of how comfortable you are with it and whether you would want to double the load by learning all the ICND2 subjects for one exam.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCENT gives you another "search term" that may get your resume pulled from the pile (or selected from the database).

Once you have the CCNA, you should also have the CCENT knowledge and skills -- but some HR wonk may not know that.

On the other hand, even though you've been out of the game for a while, you're not a noob -- would you even be interested in a job that might just require a CCENT?

Welcome back to the world of the working?!?! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    The nice thing about the two exam route is that it breaks it down into bite-size pieces. Since it has been 7 years, that's what I would do!

Plus it costs the same either way.

Were you 100% retired, or were you working on the side?

Drew
  • exgeekexgeek Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was about 80% retired but as time went on I was working at home trying to stretch out my funds and the strategy backfired. I will be working on getting (re)certified during and in between stints at the Census Bureau as an enumerator. Turned out to be the best thing I could have done for myself, BTW. But getting back into networking is probably my best way to get a decent job and avoid tough times ahead. I am looking forward to the challenge, thanks to support from family and friends.
  • exgeekexgeek Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was about 80% retired but as time went on I was working at home trying to stretch out my funds and the strategy backfired. I will be working on getting (re)certified during and in between stints at the Census Bureau as an enumerator. Turned out to be the best thing I could have done for myself, BTW. But getting back into networking is probably my best way to get a decent job and avoid tough times ahead. I looking forward to the challenge, thanks to support from family and friends.
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    I was worried this thread was going to be about women. The CCNA is much easier in comparison.

Welcome aboard and good luck!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First let me welcome you out of 80% retirement. You are not allowed to retire when you work in the IT world. Someone still calls on you when they need your help and that is when you charge them. Go the two exam route I think it is easier. I started to study the ICND 2 and have not take first one yet and I decided I wanted to two exam route to learn more as well. I am taking my time though.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.