Options

A Plus + Network plus = MCP ?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
If you pass the A Plus AND the Network Plus does that mean that you can say you have an MCP as well?

cos I heard that two of them are equal to an MCP
whats the deal here?

Comments

• Options
    fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't see how that would be possible. MS certs are specific to MS platforms and software. A+ and Network+ cover hardware and networking in a general scope and attempt not to concentrate on any specific OS (even if the OS of choice for interfacing is Windows--because it's the most popular OS and all).
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No it takes the place of an elective exam for microsoft. That is it.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    wastedtime wrote: »
    No it takes the place of an elective exam for microsoft. That is it.
    just to clarify, the combo can be used as an elective for MCSA...and depending on who you ask, maybe for MCSE as well.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you can use security+ as an elective for MCSE as well
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    skrpune wrote: »
    just to clarify, the combo can be used as an elective for MCSA...and depending on who you ask, maybe for MCSE as well.

If you ask the Microsoft Learning website, its only for MCSA.
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    DoubleD wrote: »
    If you pass the A Plus AND the Network Plus does that mean that you can say you have an MCP as well?

cos I heard that two of them are equal to an MCP
    whats the deal here?

I wish. I just passed my Network+ today and passed my A+ last month. It's the only two I have icon_sad.gif
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    If you ask the Microsoft Learning website, its only for MCSA.
    Actually, it doesn't even specify any longer. It just makes a reference to "specific third party certifications" and doesn't state which ones those are. The old MCSE Learning site specifically stated that only Security+ was able to be used as an elective for MCSE, but posters here & elsewhere have reported that they've been able to use A+/Network+ as their MCSE elective.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    I've been meaning to ask for some clarification on the CompTIA as Microsoft electives.

If you have A+ and Network+ you can use that as your MCSA elective or if you have A+ and Server+ you can use that as your MCSA elective. I have heard if you have your Security+ that by itself can serve as your MCSA elective or it can serve as one of your two MCSA:security specialization exams if you take that route. Is that correct?

If I use say Security+ once as my security specialization I can't use it again as an elective for the MCSA or MCSE right?
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It can be both an general and security elective.
  • Options
    To get MCP all I would have to do is pass one of the Microsoft cert exams right? So if I passed my XP test I would be MCP right?
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Norbie wrote: »
    To get MCP all I would have to do is pass one of the Microsoft cert exams right? So if I passed my XP test I would be MCP right?

Correct, if you passed the XP exam, you would be an MCP. But if you took one of the new MCTS or MCITP exams, you technically aren't an MCP, although you will receive the same benefits as one.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can use the A+ / Network+ for the MCSA elective. If you want the MCSA:Security, you need to take the 299 and the Security+.