Options

An Introduction

seanw87seanw87 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across this forum earlier today while doing research and have been browsing it for a few hours now, so I figured it was time I registered and started posting.

A little about myself: I was recently honorably discharged from the Army and am now looking to get into IT. I've been using and working on computers for as long as I can remember - I really enjoy it and I feel I have a knack for it. I do not have a degree or any certifications(yet), but I do need to support my family.

I've been browsing and applying for jobs on a daily basis, even those I don't meet the education requirements for. If I feel I can perform the job description, I might as well give it a shot - right? So far, no bites(bytes?icon_wink.gif) but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

The main thing holding me back from certifications is finances. Without a current job, it's tough to scrape together the cash for a certification. Then again, without a certification/formal education it's hard to scrape together a job. Catch-22's are a pain.icon_rolleyes.gif

My first step will be A+, followed shortly by Security+. I eventually want to get into security, so following the Security+ I'll be studying for my MCSA/E:S. Should keep me occupied for a while, during which I will hopefully get a break and get my foot in the IT door. I'll also be pursuing my B.S. in Computer Science as soon as I figure out where exactly I'll be working.

I'm welcome to any and all advice. Don't be shy - I have some pretty thick skin. Also - if there are any hiring types(or anyone who knows their way around a good resume) that have the spare time to critique my resume, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure if it's my lack of education/certs that's precluding me from getting a call back or if I'm just missing something on my resume.

Thanks,
Sean

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is.

Comments

• Options
    fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What was your specialty in the Army? I have a friend who served in Air Force Intelligence decoding signals. He was able to quickly snatch up a job with a firm doing really basic stuff like installing network cards and software at federal buildings (hello security clearance), and he makes a lucrative amount doing that simple job. It helps that he is in the DC area though. But with your military background it will be smart for you to look for jobs in the government sector, because you're a prime candidate for IT work that requires security clearance.
  • Options
    I was a forward observer, I called for artillery strikes, air strikes, etc. until I injured myself and then I was on the other end of the radio - I inputted the data into our systems.

I've been applying in both the government and private sector, but with no luck yet.
  • Options
    fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your service to this country. I know you'll get something soon. Do work hard on those certifications though; my friend has been asked to start getting certified so he can keep moving up the ladder.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do you have a current clearance? check USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site and Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed if you havent already

dont let no responses bother you. it happens to many people.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    fleck wrote: »
    Thanks for your service to this country. I know you'll get something soon. Do work hard on those certifications though; my friend has been asked to start getting certified so he can keep moving up the ladder.
    I'm ready to take the A+, just need to save up for it. I've already started studying for Security+, it seems basic enough. I'm looking forward to the more advanced certs!
    sidsanders wrote: »
    do you have a current clearance? check USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site and Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed if you havent already

dont let no responses bother you. it happens to many people.
    I have been applying at USAJOBS but I have not seen indeed.com yet, thank you for the link.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Welcome to the forums! If you have a security clearance and are a disabled veteran you should have no problems finding something. I doubt your GS level will be super high to start out with, but you should be able to get a great start. If you can get some certs and some formal education you will be good to go.

Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com is a great site to find jobs for cleared candidates only. Upload your resume there and see if you get any hits. good luck!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Go to the comptia website. They do have a program for vets just getting out of the service. They get you set up in a class (space available) and then you take the tests afterwards. I do not believe there is a cost for this. I dont remember the direct link, but you can always drop them an email and see how you apply for the program.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try here:

Veterans

holy smokes!!! part of comptias site isnt broken!!!

thats cool they are offering that.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    Great information, everyone, thank you very much. I'll upload my resume on clearancejobs.com and I'll definitely call my VA counselor to see about getting my certifications paid for.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    seanw87 wrote: »
    Great information, everyone, thank you very much. I'll upload my resume on clearancejobs.com and I'll definitely call my VA counselor to see about getting my certifications paid for.

Glad we could help you out. Thank you for your service.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Greetings! :)

I am sure you will find work soon. Companies love to hire people that were in the military. They know you guys work hard.

Thanks for serving icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Upon completion of a certification exam (regardless of Pass/Fail), complete VA Form 22-0803 (Dated: MAR 2006) for VA reimbursement. You'll need a copy of your receipt, and your test score sheet. Don't expect payment any sooner than 3-6 weeks. You should be use to the slow moving forms by now.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    In response to everyone that has thanked me for my service: it was my pleasure.

bgrablin - Thanks for that information, that's exactly what I needed.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    not sure how you are at networking, but i know at least 1 person who dropped out of a security+ class because she couldnt take it anymore (no networking background). she had it good initially, but the more days passed, she started to show her faults (networking), till day before exam where she dropped. typical progression in comptia path is A+>Net+>Sec+. honestly i dont know how someone could talk about tcp/ip and ports and protocols in security+ when they have no hands on experience in networking.

Not sure how much time you put in or if you did the MGIB, but those GI bill processors are SLOW (im talking months), so submit youre paperwork soon as you can, they do support comptia certs.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003