Options

Job in ISP E-NOC

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Well everything is coming together. Somethings I am not liking about the job but I will have to deal with are:

It is a 3 month probation contract to hire job so basically for 3 months I wont have any health insurance.

The offer letter says NOC TECH TIER II not NOC ENGINEER (even though the pay is the same)

It is still undecided on who gets what shift ( 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

All in alll I think it will be a good move. There is a 10K signing bonus after the 1st 3 months (assuming all goes well) which will take me to about the Mid 50's. I will be required to get the CCNA (which I planned to do anyway). I start the 28th making next week my last week at my current job. I will probably not be coming back in after thursday since I have to go to the my grandfathers wake that day.

Still seems ok to me but I am not going to get settled. After the CCNA/CCNA:S it off to the CCNP, CWNA, L+, S+. I plan to give 100 percent.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    congrats man.

I need to move out of this IT black hole area i live in and find a decent job.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    congrats man.

I need to move out of this IT black hole area i live in and find a decent job.

Thanks. I am not sure if I should make a big deal out of the title thing but I have never had a contract to hire job so this will be new.
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats man.

I wouldn't sweat the 3 month probation period. Most places have that. Alot of places leave you without benefits until you hit 6 month mark, so don't sweat it.

The pay is good obviously. I am envious :) I have been doing desktop support/help desk for 2 years now... Have an Associates as well, Net+, and A+.. so yeah. Studying for Security+ and then onto CCNA :)

Out of curiosity, what kinds of questions were asked during the interview? What job functions will you be performing?

And mid 50k'ish range is nothing to scoff at :) Good job.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats!! Welcome to the NOC world. I monitor a network that spans the U.S., I work in all different equipment as well, not just Cisco. And you're getting paid 1.5 times more than I am. rofl.

I hope you like it though... lots of good experience.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    4XJunkie wrote: »
    Grats man.

I wouldn't sweat the 3 month probation period. Most places have that. Alot of places leave you without benefits until you hit 6 month mark, so don't sweat it.

The pay is good obviously. I am envious :) I have been doing desktop support/help desk for 2 years now... Have an Associates as well, Net+, and A+.. so yeah. Studying for Security+ and then onto CCNA :)

Out of curiosity, what kinds of questions were asked during the interview? What job functions will you be performing?

And mid 50k'ish range is nothing to scoff at :) Good job.

A bunch of subnetting questions. Although they were easy to me, they might not be easy to someone who doesn't/hasn't studied subnetting and cidr.
    I have about 4 years IT experience. 3 years Helpdesk and 1 year at Geeksquad. I think the fact the I worked for the hiring managers former company helped out. He knew the kind of stuff we did there and didn't ask me to many basic questions.
    As far as the job is concerned: Mostly network monitoring and resolution and 3rd tier helpdesk. My previous role had me doing tier 2 helpdesk so this is kind of exciting.
    I don't think that I got the job based on my certs (A+/N+) but I know I did well on the tech interview and God blessed me with the job. I now have to finish CCNA (for the job) CCNA:S and S+ (for myself) before the end of the year. Fun Fun Fun.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Congrats!! Welcome to the NOC world. I monitor a network that spans the U.S., I work in all different equipment as well, not just Cisco. And you're getting paid 1.5 times more than I am. rofl.

I hope you like it though... lots of good experience.

Thanks. I know I got a shift bonus because I will be working at night.
  • Options
    Well today is day 2 at the new job. So far I am pretty bored due to the fact that I don't have access to much yet. However I do have some good news: I am now Tier II Noc Tech although this doesn't fully take effect for another month (when the Datacenter moves).

I have talked with some of the Engineers here (Net Engineer I and IIs) and I think that I can make a big move if I bust my butt. CBTS works with alot of Cisco routers and switches as well as Unix/RH/Sun boxes, so I think I will work on getting my general server knowledge (especially *nix ) up, possible to the point of certification. I am not sure yet, my sig keeps changing because I keep changing my mind about which certs will help.

I think the CCNP will help, and I may need to get the CCSP done as well. But that is in the future. My first goals are to get the CCNA+CCNA:S+Sec+. There are several CCNP's in the same job that I am in and this makes me nervous. I know that the most important thing for me is to get my knowledge and skillset up to a CCNP level even before I get the CCNP. I would also like to get Level 1 linux server knowledge.

Oh and I am loving the company laptop w/ the N wireless card (144 mbps on my wireless connection, yes yes yes).
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Love hearing updates about new jobs :) Sounds like a good deal man!

I wouldn't fret over what others have. They obviously think you are capable of the same, or they wouldn't have hired you. Just keep plugging away your certs, and mold your own career. Don't let one job determine your future. It isn't your first job, it won't be your last.

You define your career path, don't let your job define it for you.
  • Options
    4XJunkie wrote: »
    Love hearing updates about new jobs :) Sounds like a good deal man!

I wouldn't fret over what others have. They obviously think you are capable of the same, or they wouldn't have hired you. Just keep plugging away your certs, and mold your own career. Don't let one job determine your future. It isn't your first job, it won't be your last.

You define your career path, don't let your job define it for you.

Thanks.

I now have my tac access and I am working on live gear which is a bit nerve racking but exciting.