Options

Interesting Link

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
This may be better for the Linux forum but I found this link to be very inspiring ( I think I know what I will be doing this weekend).

Build Your Own Server |

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Interesting site. I don't like that they have you install a bunch of applications, then remove the ones you don't want. I prefer to start with nothing and add in what I need. Check out HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials They have several "Perfect Server" tutorials (for different distros) that you can use to get a pretty good server going. They show you how to add in quite a few applications and services, but I just pick and choose the ones I want / need.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    greetings...

i use proftpd on plats where ftp is required, however for this project, i would skip it. sftp is enabled by default (or should be) and its more secure than ftp barring alterations to reduce its security. while even though this may be a learning exercise, no reason to start by enabling things you may not use, or need to use. samba could even fall into that as well. ssh can tunnel X apps without the need for vnc. vnc gives you the whole X session, which may be useful as well.

i use: Xming X Server for Windows | Get Xming X Server for Windows at SourceForge.net
    and then putty (xming site has a putty ver as well as here: PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client)
    to tunnel X apps to my windows host if i need to.

not trying to complicate matters for you, and if this is known info, dont mean to waste your time...
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sidsanders wrote: »
    greetings...

i use proftpd on plats where ftp is required, however for this project, i would skip it. sftp is enabled by default (or should be) and its more secure than ftp barring alterations to reduce its security. while even though this may be a learning exercise, no reason to start by enabling things you may not use, or need to use. samba could even fall into that as well. ssh can tunnel X apps without the need for vnc. vnc gives you the whole X session, which may be useful as well.

i use: Xming X Server for Windows | Get Xming X Server for Windows at SourceForge.net
    and then putty (xming site has a putty ver as well as here: PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client)
    to tunnel X apps to my windows host if i need to.

not trying to complicate matters for you, and if this is known info, dont mean to waste your time...

Dont worry about complicating things for me dude. I need to get more skills so you are pointing me in the right direction. :)
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you really want more skills .. go for Linux from Scratch

Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

I started reading about it a few years ago but then decided that it was tooooo much for me icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    wd40 wrote: »

I started reading about it a few years ago but then decided that it was tooooo much for me icon_lol.gif

Same here!
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.