Boot to ghost from USB

mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
I'm trying to to boot to ghost directly from my USB, without any CD's or floppies. So far I managed to boot to ghost from my USB. The problem is that my USB is showing up as the C: drive, so when I try to restore an image it will image my USB drive which I don't want it to do. I think something may be wrong with my autoexec.bat file or something. Any ideas?

Comments

• LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    I'm trying to to boot to ghost directly from my USB, without any CD's or floppies. So far I managed to boot to ghost from my USB. The problem is that my USB is showing up as the C: drive, so when I try to restore an image it will image my USB drive which I don't want it to do. I think something may be wrong with my autoexec.bat file or something. Any ideas?

went through that... gave up and used acronis (boot from cd, usb, and then some, app that does it is built in).

ps, let me know how this project goes for ya ;P
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    I got it to work, but the speed is so slow.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just a suggestion... why dont you make a WinPE bootable usb stick, and copy the ghost.exe onto it? You then have the flexibility of capturing/deploying wim and gho files?

I created one and filled it with tools as well, its proved really handy!! icon_cool.gif

edit: On reflection... I think i have the ghost32 on mine, not sure if the normal ghost.exe would run under winpe...
  • mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Just a suggestion... why dont you make a WinPE bootable usb stick, and copy the ghost.exe onto it? You then have the flexibility of capturing/deploying wim and gho files?

I created one and filled it with tools as well, its proved really handy!! icon_cool.gif

edit: On reflection... I think i have the ghost32 on mine, not sure if the normal ghost.exe would run under winpe...

Sounds like a plan. Any site you know of that is straight how to make a WinPE bootable usb stick?
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a little late... but for those who use Norton Ghost... I dont remember where I got this as its in a notepad file Ive had for ... well, at least since I last replied here. Verified on Norton Ghost 12, 14, 15; make your usb stick bootable then copy/paste Norton Ghost disc contents to the stick, makes booting much faster, as in <1minute, from 5min+ on a dual core laptop:

How to make a bootable Ghost 12/14/15 UFD

- From Command Prompt, type diskpart
    - Type List Disk, select disk number of your UFD
    - Type Select Disk # (use number from above).
    - Type Clean
    - Type Create partition primary
    - Type Select partition 1
    - Type Active
    - Type Format fs=fat32
    - Type Assign
    - Type Exit
    - Copy all the files from the Ghost 12/14/15 CD to your USB Flash Drive
    Enter your PC’s boot menu and select your USB Flash Drive to boot to. If you do not see an entry for your USB Flash Drive, ensure it is enabled for boot in your PC’s BIOS. Most older PC’s do not support booting from USB.

ps, symantec ghost solutions suite has a built-in capability to do this, just as acronis does (verified on versions 9 and 10).
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    We use BART PE, old school WinPE, and Ghost and it works pretty well. Check out BART PE, it's easy to build and work with. It's an alternative. :)