new job :D

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I guess this is kinda IT related. I started my full day at work today and I learned alot. I'm a Technology Assistant at my school through work study. I basically work on tutorials/take calls to help teachers use blackboard. Today I went through a bunch of tutorials/tip sheets to make sure that they were up to date. I might even get a chance to learn how to use Mac OSX and reimage laptops that we let teachers use. I might end up getting another job (applying to best buy) because money is tight and I'm on a payment plan but I think I'm in the right direction, starting off in my career field. I couldn't get a job for about 6 months. For the people who still don't have a job, hang in there!! Something will come up!

For all of those who are in college/university, don't for get that there might be a job through work study. I'm sure alot of people look over workstudy but it's a great thing to get into, especially when you haven't had a job before. Some jobs require work all the time and some jobs just need you to sit there and watch a door. For the door watching jobs, that allows you to study for your certs :D
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am glad work study is working out for you :)

Work study benefited me greatly. It doesn't pay much but the experience is great. I worked with networking, help desk, and desktop support. :D
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats

Work study is a great program, I actually got started as a lab proctor at my local school and they quickly moved me into setting up and updating our schools "smart classrooms", answering calls and supporting the users that were using anything from ubuntu, osx or some version of windows.

I started out there, then got me a good paid summer internship, returned back to my work study for a few more months then landed my current position as a net admin.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    The hardest part of it all is just getting some experience. After that employers will be more willing to hire you.

Sounds like work study is providing this for you. The pay may not be great but at this point it's all about the experience.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    The hardest part of it all is just getting some experience. After that employers will be more willing to hire you.

Sounds like work study is providing this for you. The pay may not be great but at this point it's all about the experience.

What he said. Regardless of the field you're in we always have to start somewhere.

The good thing about IT is that if you're dedicated you can advance pretty quickly.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess this is kinda IT related. I started my full day at work today and I learned alot. I'm a Technology Assistant at my school through work study. I basically work on tutorials/take calls to help teachers use blackboard. Today I went through a bunch of tutorials/tip sheets to make sure that they were up to date. I might even get a chance to learn how to use Mac OSX and reimage laptops that we let teachers use. I might end up getting another job (applying to best buy) because money is tight and I'm on a payment plan but I think I'm in the right direction, starting off in my career field. I couldn't get a job for about 6 months. For the people who still don't have a job, hang in there!! Something will come up!

For all of those who are in college/university, don't for get that there might be a job through work study. I'm sure alot of people look over workstudy but it's a great thing to get into, especially when you haven't had a job before. Some jobs require work all the time and some jobs just need you to sit there and watch a door. For the door watching jobs, that allows you to study for your certs :D

Congrats. Hope you can make the best of it!
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I hope that I will be able to keep working at school all through out the year. I'm glad that I'll get to work on softskills and Microsoft Word because I never really got the chance to work on them. It'll be tough to start off with because I'm still in the training process but I think I can handle it. I'll just take things day by day and learn as much as I can.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****