Options

Configuring 6509

bagglesbaggles Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am configuring a 6509 at work and had a query regarding how one would configure the management interface based on these requirements:

I have been allocated subnets: 10.0.1.0/24, 10.0.2.0/24, and 10.0.3.0/24. The manager wants to make a mangement interface part of the 10.0.3.0 subnet. There are three VLANs also: 101, 102, and 103. Do I configure the management interface on the interface Vlan103, on the port-channel interface, or as a loopback? I have never configured an L3 switch before so I am kind of stuck. I have only ever seen people configure loopback interfaces with /32 masks and I can't use any more subnets that what weve been allocated.

Any help is really appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    I would do it on a VLAN interface.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you don't have a single IP to put on a loopback then you can just use one of the SVI addresses. Keep in mind that if that SVI goes down you will have to use another address. Might not be that big of a deal, but if you are monitoring the thing by IP address you will have to change that also. I always try to have a loopback that is routed on any device to avoid that kind of thing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I read in my BCMSN studies that Cisco actually does not call vlans that span an entire network "best practice." (if you want the page, book I can give that to you as well, just dont have it with me right now). They say this holds true even for management vlans which historically always spanned the core and went across an entire network. So with that in mind, and SVI interface address , or routed loopback, would probably be the best way to manage your 6509 if you can spare the addy (like networker said).