Options

Wireless problem.

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
We are implementing a lot of wireless for small parts of our network, tops 10 clients per Access Point.

My problem here is that at one segment of the wireless I have 2 client pc's that keep on dropping the connection to the AP. The rest ( 8 ) pc's are fine. I can not figure out what the problem is. I have configured the pc's over and over but after about an hour or so it drops the link...sometimes it drops it within 5 minutes. I have 128-bit encryption implemented on the AP and pc's.

The hardware used are: Cisco 1200 AIRONET AP 802.11g, NIC's are Netgear 802.11g. <--- icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm open to suggestions to fix this problem. I know it's not the AP because no one else is dropping the link but these 2 clients.

Thanks!!!
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    What about SSID's? Or NIC card turn off after not being used for a certai namount of time.
  • Options
    No...they are always on.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Are these two clients in an unusual place? Did you preform any measurements/site survey. I the signal strenght the same on the 2 clients as other clients? How about error/noise ratios?
  • Options
    I did a site survey and the signal is excellent. The AP and the two clients are in direct line of site. The AP is about 15-20ft. away from the two clients. What I think is that there might be a compability issue here. I think that the Netgear NIC's are not very friendly with the Cisco 1200 AP. In my other sites (7) I have All Cisco 1200 AP's 802.11g and Linksys NIC's 802.11g and I have not run into any problem yet.

The thing that I do not get is that other clients are not dropping the link, but two. This one has me stumpled. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gifcrash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Can it be for some reason that the two are messing with eachother?

Do you have any spare NICs? In that case you could simply replace them to see if that solves the problem.
  • Options
    TPCGoferTPCGofer Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What OS are these systems running? If they are XP have you upgraded to SP2? There is a known issue with some wireless connections losing their connections intermitently that was addresses in an MS hotfix. I had this exact issue and the hotfix repaired the problem. The hotfix was integrated into XP SP2. (The hotfix was not available for download on MS - you had to e-mail them to get it, they did incorporate the fix into SP2 so I don't think you will be able to just get the hotfix any longer).
    MCSE 2003
  • Options
    sbhasinsbhasin Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    viper75 wrote:
    I did a site survey and the signal is excellent. The AP and the two clients are in direct line of site.

LoS doesnt matter....this is indoor setup.
    viper75 wrote:
    The AP is about 15-20ft. away from the two clients. What I think is that there might be a compability issue here. I think that the Netgear NIC's are not very friendly with the Cisco 1200 AP. In my other sites (7) I have All Cisco 1200 AP's 802.11g and Linksys NIC's 802.11g and I have not run into any problem yet.

The thing that I do not get is that other clients are not dropping the link, but two. This one has me stumpled. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gifcrash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif

This sounds like a typical scenario of noise/interference. I doubt its interoperability. ;)