Anyone tried Odom simulator?

Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have seen this, and wondering if anyone has tried it. I am especially interested in how it compares to packet tracer and dynamips.

Comments

• bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer >
    WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
  • Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This subject seems to elucidate very little information. I guess cisco isn't selling many of the odom sims. I was all set to get one but at $150 I would not go there.

I read somewhere that the boson 6.x sim was sold to cisco and that it blew chunks in terms of reliability and so forth. Now boson is on 7.x.

So I am guessing cisco enlisted some programmers and odom and did enough testing and bug fixing that he was willing to put his name on it. Probably some cosmetic changes so people don't right away think its a variant of boson.

For that kind of coin, anybody would be better off with some 2500s and a 2950...

In any case, the word on the cisco sim sure isn't out. Probably way overpriced...
  • motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    I just purchased the simulator (still waiting for it to arrive) for $90, brand new. Do a little research on the web and you can find a deal. I have real equipment and packet tracer and both are great. But what I like about the Odom simulator is the visual labs that come with it. Trying to make up your own labs is hard for me, so what I plan on doing is labbing up all the Odom scenarios on my real equipment. We'll see what happens.......
    Keep me posted. I will be interested to hear how well it works for you once you get it.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I read somewhere that the boson 6.x sim was sold to cisco and that it blew chunks in terms of reliability and so forth. Now boson is on 7.x.
    Where did you read this?
    So I am guessing cisco enlisted some programmers and odom and did enough testing and bug fixing that he was willing to put his name on it. Probably some cosmetic changes so people don't right away think its a variant of boson.
    Why would Cisco need to buy an old Boson sim if they already have Packet Tracer?
    I don't remember where I heard it, but I recall a post by someone who bought an old boson sim and when they called for support for the problems, they were told it wasn't supported by boson anymore as it was sold to cisco.

If anyone knows more about this, be glad to hear it. As you can see, information about this subject is pretty scarce.