Options

Level of difficulty

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am getting some books and study guides.

What's the level of difficulty on a 0 - 10 scale. 0 being the easiest.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    way4oway4o Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The level of difficulty I think depends on your actual time with the OS. I have a CCNA and have been a a help desk tech for 9 years. With a max of 10 hrs on server 03 I found the test to be hard. Not easy at all like the 70-270. I also had 7 sim questions unlike the 2 or 3 i hear people talk about. The only thing that got me through was my networking skills and the ablity to reason out incorrect choices. With transcender and measure up from the MS pressbook I did score 835. 46 questions in all.
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I say medium... I passed it today, really didn't find it all that hard. However... I've been using 2003 for a while, so that helps icon_wink.gif
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you have prior experience troubleshooting and installing something like Windows XP, it's not a huge jump to Server 2003. The bigger challenges will be things like ACLs on files, user permissions, as well as services like DNS, DHCP, Terminal Services, and setting up the basics of AD. If you're brand-new to doing admin-type of stuff on any version of Windows and you've just been chugging along until now as a regular user, then you might have to hit the books a little harder.

Do yourself a favor, set up a lab with Virtual PC or VMWare and set up a couple of Windows 2003 Enterprise servers and play with them. Follow along with the labs and suggested exercises in your book, and try to make sure you've done everything you learn about a couple of times to make sure you're ready for the exam. Hands-on practice is what makes or breaks people in cert-exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought 70-290 was a joke it was so easy. Network+ and 70-270 were harder. Maybe I lucked out and drew easy questions. :shrug:

The hardest topic in 290 IMO is permissions. Get that down pat and you're set. The MS Press self-test software was good for this in adaptive mode.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I thought 70-290 was a joke it was so easy. Network+ and 70-270 were harder. Maybe I lucked out and drew easy questions.

Any test is easy if you know the material covered. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.