Options

Need some Sumulator Advice

jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
Hey, just wanted to get you thoughts on simulators. I use GNS3 and real gear at home, and it’s been working well for me; however, the company I work for is looking to invest in a simulator for people to learn on… They are looking for something with Routers, Security Devices, and Switches.

This eliminates GNS3. icon_sad.gif

They also, don’t want to buy real gear / setup a lab. icon_sad.gif

If you were spending someone else’s money on a simulator for you and your co-workers, what would you get?

Thanks! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer is decent but does not let you do everything and it does have it bugs. It is simple too.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Packet Tracer is decent but does not let you do everything and it does have it bugs. It is simple too.

Does Packet Tracer Sim ASA's? I marked that one off "the list" because I didn't think it did. icon_surprised.gif I'll have to read up on it more.

The main problem I'm having is finding a Sim that does Routers,Switches, and ASA's. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as I can tell GNS3 is the closest thing that can do routers, switches, and PIX/ASA. (If I am not mistaken)

Edit: Just to make sure I was talking about Dynamips and Pemu.
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    As far as I can tell GNS3 is the closest thing that can do routers, switches, and PIX/ASA. (If I am not mistaken)

No switches on GNS3 due to asic issues I'm told. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, I'll go check.
    (I'm running Dynamips and Pemu at home)

Thanks for the replies! icon_thumright.gif

Anyone else?
  • Options
    From what I hear you can add a switch network module into a router.
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    From what I hear you can add a switch network module into a router.

You can - I think that's going to be the best bet. :)
  • Options
    I haven't done it myself but I have read in multiple places where people say they have done that.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend a hybrid.. i recently posted my rack as I have virtual routers connecting to real switches.

if your spending someone else's money icon_smile.gif real is nice.. but it depends on the budget as well.. if they gave you 5k you could spend that in just 1 switch depending on the model.. so theres something to think over icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    GNS is your best bet. I don't think you'll have a choice on not buying switches. I know you can do a bit with GNS just swapping in a module, but I don't think it will cover everything you need.

GNS with 2-3 switches 2950/3550 combination will work well enough I would guess.

Packet tracer doesn't really do much. I noticed they revamped the latest version to cover some of the CCNA:Security stuff, but there aren't a ton of supported features. They added a L3 switch, but that's also very limited. I was looking into the CCNA:Sec exam prep guide and trying to follow along in labs and it didn't support the early stuff. I kind of gave up at that point and will go back to it once I can afford some real equipment.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    keenon wrote: »
    I would recommend a hybrid.. i recently posted my rack as I have virtual routers connecting to real switches.

if your spending someone else's money icon_smile.gif real is nice.. but it depends on the budget as well.. if they gave you 5k you could spend that in just 1 switch depending on the model.. so theres something to think over icon_wink.gif

That's my setup at home. :)

Thanks or the info everyone. icon_thumright.gif