Use GNS3 for CCIP certification?

tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dudes!

I have a job now that requires me to know more about BGP and MPLS so I'll be beginning my CCIP journey soon.

My question is - would GNS3 be a good substitute for real equipment in studying for the CCIP labs? I realize that having real equipment is best but I can't spend the cash on equipment right now.

Thanks!
Next up:
CCIP

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tomset wrote: »
    would GNS3 be a good substitute for real equipment in studying for the CCIP labs?
    There is no substitute for real equipment...... but Dynamips should let you do almost everything you want (and need) to practice for the hands on portions of the BSCI, BGP, and MPLS exams.

And if you have a PC (or two) powerful enough to deal with the additional overhead of the Graphical GNS3 interface, then that should work too.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used Dynamips for BGP and MPLS. Dynamips/GNS3 doesn't support switches so you may need to buy some hardware for QoS if you don't have any already.

I actually prefer Dynamips to real equipment.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to agree. I've created labs and topologies I would have never had the pleasure or privilege of creating or playing with if it were not for dynamips. Dynamips will allow you to accomplish just about anything you need to accomplish for BSCI, BGP, and MPLS exams.