Options

1900 upgrade

thickSkinthickSkin Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi

I bought a used 1900 switch to work along side my 2950. When i bought it i did not know about the standard edition and enterprise edition. Now all i can do with the 1900 is basic configuration no command line is present and i need that for the CCNA. Does anyone know of a link where i can get to download an image upgrade.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A Catalyst 1900 is useless for CCNA. It doesn't run IOS even with the "enterprise" upgrade.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yea, what he said. ^^^ The 1900 series is too old. At the very least you would need a 2900 series (2924). It is still lacking in features compared to the 2950's, but it will work.

I'd check eBay or Craigslist for another 2950, rather than dragging that 1900 around. Sad, but true. I just sold a couple of 1900's last year to upgrade (and I love the 2950's and 3550 that replaced them.). If you sell it on Craigslist, you might get $20 or so and use that to finance the new switch. Although, I've seen them for $5.00, too...
  • Options
    thickSkinthickSkin Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your help. I certainly wish i had asked you all earlier about the 1900 switch before i had made the purchase. Now that $20 dollars plus shipping is gone down the drain.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    thickSkin wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help. I certainly wish i had asked you all earlier about the 1900 switch before i had made the purchase. Now that $20 dollars plus shipping is gone down the drain.

Its a nice $20 dollar Cisco paper weight!

They are still good for just basic ethernet connectivity, but not much for lab configuration. We still use them on our management network and the little guys hold strong.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    Its a nice $20 dollar Cisco paper weight!

They are still good for just basic ethernet connectivity, but not much for lab configuration. We still use them on our management network and the little guys hold strong.

1900's won't even handle dot1q if i remember correctly.