Options

1 Test vs 2 Test Method

4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious, which method do you recommend obtaining the CCNA?

A guy I work with recommended the the two test method. It sets yourself up with milestones. Ie, take ICND1 and get CCENT. Then take ICND2, to get the CCNA. So you come out with 2 certs (HR people are usually not techies, so having more than one Cisco cert might help you get noticed by HR), get the material broken up, etc.

Another guy recommended the one test method, because you only have to take well, one test. Less money, although money is not an issue because my company reimburses. He also said alot of the material is the same on both tests, so there is overlap. So he recommended only taking it once.

What are your thoughts?

4X

Comments

• Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    4XJunkie wrote: »
    Just curious, which method do you recommend obtaining the CCNA?

A guy I work with recommended the the two test method. It sets yourself up with milestones. Ie, take ICND1 and get CCENT. Then take ICND2, to get the CCNA. So you come out with 2 certs (HR people are usually not techies, so having more than one Cisco cert might help you get noticed by HR), get the material broken up, etc.

Another guy recommended the one test method, because you only have to take well, one test. Less money, although money is not an issue because my company reimburses. He also said alot of the material is the same on both tests, so there is overlap. So he recommended only taking it once.

What are your thoughts?

4X

Its not less money icon_wink.gif

Two test method is better imo. Its nice to break the subjects into two sections so you dont have to study everything at once.

the two test track is for new CCNA's, the one test route is for people who need to recertify. Atleast thats what Jeremy Ciora has said.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Less money
    There is no longer a price difference between the 1 exam or 2 exam option -- other than the extra travel time and gas for a 2nd trip to the Vue Test Center.

If you're a noob to Cisco and/or Networking and/or IT then it's nice to have that CCENT to take up an extra line on your resume.

If you live a couple of hours from the exam center or already have some IT and/or Networking and/or Cisco work experience then you may not need the CCENT.

I'd say if it's not greatly inconvenient, you have nothing to lose by doing the 2 exam approach and getting both the CCENT and CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    I originally started out on the 1 test route, but found there was sooo much information to absorb. So i went for the 2 test instead and broke that down into chunks. Like people have said its not anymore expensive I suppose it all comes down to how much experience you have with Cisco kit etc.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Call me crazy but after I took the 2 exam route I think going after 1 test exam route may be "easier". I say this because when doing the 1 exam route you would get a mix of the "easier" freebie CCENT questions thrown in with the harder CCNA questions so it would help allievate the difficulty of the exam as a whole....or so I would think lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Like others have said: same price now.

Also, going the 2 exam route, I wouldn't put both the CCENT and the CCNA on my resume. Just the CCNA. If you have the CCNA, it's a given that you have greater than CCENT knowledge.

I'd personally go for the 2 exam route. You can break up your studies and do a ladder style.

Although, I am also doing it for a HUGE NO-NO reason. I'm setting myself up for failure, but I look at it more as a safety net. If I fail one, I'm only out $125, not $250. Bad, but in my financial situation (broke as a joke, unemployed... icon_sad.gif ), it makes good financial sense.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    I felt that doing the 2 exam track gave me more time to learn and absorb the information. I hate rushing for exams and like to research things when I don't quite understand them. If your not in any great hurry to knock over the CCNA, take the 2 exam track and enjoy the time studying.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So you come out with 2 certs (HR people are usually not techies, so having more than one Cisco cert might help you get noticed by HR),
    I hate people who do this. You're just trying to trick people who are less sophisticated. Like people who insist they are an MCP, MCSA, MCSE. Just say MCSE and be done with it. You don't go around telling people you have HS degree, bachelor's degree and master's degree. You just say you have a master's degree.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    It all depends on your particular preference. I am taking the CCNA 640-802 exam. I've had plenty of time to absorb both ICND1 and ICND2 material and been practicing everything, labbing, subnetting, etc.... It just depends on what you want to do. I also agree that you just put masters degree :) lol. Just like if you have an associates and a bachelors you don't put both, unless they are in different fields of course :)
  • Options
    trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    I hate people who do this. You're just trying to trick people who are less sophisticated. Like people who insist they are an MCP, MCSA, MCSE. Just say MCSE and be done with it. You don't go around telling people you have HS degree, bachelor's degree and master's degree. You just say you have a master's degree.

+1 for that
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Just because you have a CCNA doesn't mean you have a CCENT like with the MCP and MCSE. So that is not really the same thing IMO.

You are also not taking into account key word searches for resumes. If one of the key words for the job is MCSA and you only put MCSE then your resume might never even get pulled from the stack.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the 1 exam route and I am glad I did..but there is a lot of info.
    It can be done; it is just on the 1 exam route they combine the basic concepts with harder ones, expecting you to understand...tough but doable.Grows hair on your chest .hahhahahhhaicon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just because you have a CCNA doesn't mean you have a CCENT like with the MCP and MCSE. So that is not really the same thing IMO.

You are also not taking into account key word searches for resumes. If one of the key words for the job is MCSA and you only put MCSE then your resume might never even get pulled from the stack.

I was wondering the same. I see a ton of people who both list MCSA and MCSE, especially here. Was just curious.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I went the 2 exam route, It gave me a break in between exams, so I ended up really getting to spend more time on the objectives. I also live less than a mile from a testing center, though I usually go to the one that is about 5 miles from my home because of familiarity.

I listed both CCENT and CCNA on my resume, but only because I didn't want my resume to be filtered out by an HR person looking at acronyms. I would prefer to just say I'm a CCNA.

For the MCSE, I will put MCP on my resume, same reason as above, but I will usually just say that I'm an MCSE. I could argue the case that an MCSA is slightly different though. For the 2000 track, I believe that the 70-218 was required for the MCSA but was only an elective exam for the MCSE. Yikes, it's been a while since I looked at that "curriculum".
  • Options

i see your point, but then again, if you are CCNA then how much that even matters if you are also CCENT or not. I mean, if you are CCNA, then that means you know CCENT material no matter if you did 1 or 2 tests to get it.

The keyword thing has a point... , but i think usually serious employers know their stuff and look for different keywords that are applicable, not just one, besides usually when im looking for work then i look actively and contact different employers myself that im interested in. And when im MCSE then im not interested in position that requires just MCP anyway.

I dont know, for me it seems knda insecure to list all lower level certs.

Many people here preach nobly "study for knowledge not for certs" but then list all lower level certs they have... :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    trackit wrote: »
    i see your point, but then again, if you are CCNA then how much that even matters if you are also CCENT or not. I mean, if you are CCNA, then that means you know CCENT material no matter if you did 1 or 2 tests to get it.

The keyword thing has a point... , but i think usually serious employers know their stuff and look for different keywords that are applicable, not just one, besides usually when im looking for work then i look actively and contact different employers myself that im interested in. And when im MCSE then im not interested in position that requires just MCP anyway.

I dont know, for me it seems knda insecure to list all lower level certs.

Many people here preach nobly "study for knowledge not for certs" but then list all lower level certs they have... :)

I agree it doesn't matter if you are sending the resume yourself to a hiring manager they would know the difference. My current job I was contacted by a recruiter that found my resume on line and I was not actively seeking a new job. I'm pretty sure he didn't manually read every resume online, but instead searched for key words. If they wouldn't have found me then I would have never even known about this job to send my resume in. I would hate to miss out on an excellent opportunity like this just because I didn't put four simple letters on my resume because I thought it was insecure.

As far as listing certifications on this site, it is a certification forum so why not list ALL the certifications you have? Its nothing formal just a list under your name....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ok, fair enough :)