Options

Something about the 70-271

ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I'm preparing for my MCDST and am very aware that this is a 2 courses exams. I've been reading a lot of post about this course and most particularily the 70-270, but for me I'm starting with the 70-271 so I'm just wondering if anyone have any advice about this first part of this exams in consideration of the 70-271.

There are a lot of good tips from many who posted on this forum about the 70-270, but not much on the 70-271 so if there's any info about it, I would very much appreciate it. Whats the main difference btwn these 2 exams, I do know they are both Windows XP based, but which one is more profound and covers deepers Windows XP's topics and how about the exams set up itself, like questions and passing score.

Thank you all who have taken the time to post on this forum, it is a very useful site and I'm very appreciative for all your postings.

Cheers and good luck to all.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All most all of the tips that can apply for the 70-270 are applicable to the 70-271. The real thing to keep in mind is that on the 271 exam your questions will be phrased like this:
    "You are the desktop administrator for company x which has....."
    But for the 270 exam you will have questions like the above, but you will also have questions like this:
    "You are the network administrator for company x which has ...."

What this means is that you have to choose the answer correct for your job role. In general te 271 was very similar to the 270 but in many ways easier. I scored in the low 900s on my 271 exam, but only managed the mid 800s on my 270.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Having read both the 270 and 271 book, there are whole chapters that are almost word for word. I found the 271 to be easier, maybe because I did the MCDST after getting the MCSA.
  • Options
    ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies, it sure was helpful.
  • Options
    dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Basically, 271 covers XP config and admin, but doesn't go as in depth as the 270. The 272 covers supporting users using XP, e.g. user preferences, troubleshooting apps. The 271 was more technical than the 272, which was more user oriented.