Options

Exam question

mukuljackmukuljack Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,
I have two queries.
1.I want to go for CISSP in the long run.Is giving Security+ can be a start or should I try anyother cert.
2.And if security+ is kool and which boook should I refer initially.Also I dont have much working exp in Networking.so shd I start with network+ or something like CCNA?

Thanks in Advance
-M
Mukul

Comments

• Options
    flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mukuljack,

I've been a big proponent that the good entry level networking book to read is the ICND1 book by CiscoPress. It may be slightly biased towards Cisco, when the chapters start diving into IOS, but it's a really solid book for someone looking to get their first networking Certification.

CompTIA Network+ has name recognition just like Cisco. Getting a/the job may just boil down to the HR hiring manager, or an IT manager may have a bias towards one certification of the other, when it comes time for an interview, or post interview decision process.

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccent/icnd1

Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition (9781587201820): Wendell Odom: Books

After you pass the 640-822, which is ICND1, you will receive the Cisco CCENT certification.

mukuljack wrote: »
    Guys,
    I have two queries.
    1.I want to go for CISSP in the long run.Is giving Security+ can be a start or should I try anyother cert.
    2.And if security+ is kool and which boook should I refer initially.Also I dont have much working exp in Networking.so shd I start with network+ or something like CCNA?

Thanks in Advance
    -M
    Next up: OSCP
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I have both Security+ and CISSP and wrote the following blog after passing the CISSP: Security+ and CISSP

In short, Security+ is a great foundation for CISSP. There's a lot of crossover and if you really learn the material, it becomes much easier to bridge your knowledge from Security+ to CISSP (though CISSP is still a monster).

I'd recommend a book for Security+, but I'm a little biased so I'll pass :).

And networking knowledge is an important foundation for both. As flatworld implied, you don't need a full CCNA. You can just study the one exam for the CCENT cert (as opposed to the full CCNA), or the Network+ cert. Both of these paths will help you get the networking foundation you need for Security+ and CISSP.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Guys,
    I have two queries.

Thanks in Advance
    -M
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    ...And networking knowledge is an important foundation for both. As flatworld implied, you don't need a full CCNA. You can just study the one exam for the CCENT cert (as opposed to the full CCNA), or the Network+ cert. Both of these paths will help you get the networking foundation you need for Security+ and CISSP.

Keep providing valuable insight to the Security+ exam and security questions in general and your book will sell itself.

Ooops, did I just give away what book you would recommend? My apologies.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Sybex book for sec + is pretty good. Security+ is a great cert to start with, has pretty good name recognition. Check out the security forums for more information.
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of the Sybex book and have had no issues. The pictures keep my ADD at bay.

Sometimes when I flip a page and notice that it is nothing but words I let out a little sigh. Do you think they can make a Security+ picture book?

I also utilize CBT Nuggets Security+ for when my eyes hurt from reading. And I have resulted to drinking and watching the videos over again hoping to obtain subconscious knowledge through drowning my entire cerebral with suds. drunken_smilie.gif
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

My Site | Face
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bgrablin wrote: »
    Sometimes when I flip a page and notice that it is nothing but words I let out a little sigh. Do you think they can make a Security+ picture book?

I've long thought there should be technology related books released in pop-up as well as scratch and sniff varieties (think of the possibilities!).

Have you tried reading at various points in the day? I can absorb material and focus easier in the mornings, so I've tried to adopt my schedule to accommodate a half hour to an hour each morning of reading. I just head into work early and since nobody else in my department arrives until 8:30, I'm able to have uninterrupted reading free from any distractions I have back at home (getting up early to have reading time at home doesn't work thanks to distractions).
  • Options
    I've long thought there should be technology related books released in pop-up as well as scratch and sniff varieties (think of the possibilities!).

I can see we are on the same "page" here.

My Site | Face
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Guys,
    I have two queries.

Thanks in Advance
    -M

Here is a good route:
    A+
    Network+
    Linux+
    Security+
    CCNA
    CISSP
  • Options
    bgrablin wrote: »

I also utilize CBT Nuggets Security+ for when my eyes hurt from reading. And I have resulted to drinking and watching the videos over again hoping to obtain subconscious knowledge through drowning my entire cerebral with suds. drunken_smilie.gif

I wonder if you put the MS disks on your eyes like cucumbers at a spa, if the info would soak in...since I don't drink icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    That's a solid foundation to start, but don't you think the jump from CCNA to CISSP is a bit steep?

Edit:
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I don't drink icon_wink.gif

I don't think we can be friends anymore icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    kimanyd wrote: »
    That's a solid foundation to start, but don't you think the jump from CCNA to CISSP is a bit steep?

Edit:

I don't think we can be friends anymore icon_sad.gif

...I'm devastated icon_wink.gif Actually, I get sick from it. It leaves more for you!
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    ...I'm devastated icon_wink.gif Actually, I get sick from it. It leaves more for you!

Dynamik, err kimanyD, just think... DD! That's one of the reasons I love pregnant women.

My Site | Face
  • Options
    ....my wife is pregnant, so that leaves TWICE as much for the rest of y'all. Isn't that generous? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mukuljackmukuljack Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys,
    Thanks fo much..
    I will follow the below path.
    Network+
    Security+

and then I will think of my main target CISSPicon_smile.gif
    Mukul
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't just jump and take the CISSP can you? Despite if you know the info or not.

I believe you have to submit proof and verification of atleast 4 years working in a security environment, regardless of your exam resullts.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?

EDIT:

Answered my own question. You need 5 years of proven work experience with the following:

For your CISSP credential, your professional experience has to be in two or more of these 10 (ISC)² CISSP domains:
    • Access Control
    • Application Security
    • Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning
    • Cryptography
    • Information Security and Risk Management
    • Legal, Regulations, Compliance and Investigations
    • Operations Security
    • Physical (Environmental) Security
    • Security Architecture and Design
    • Telecommunications and Network Security

This would leave me to believe that the CISSP is something you would get after working a sys/network admin job that would allow you to work directly with the material above, for atleast 5 years.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Just to add a little to this.

You can pay the $599 for the CISSP exam, take the exam and even pass the exam, but if you can't provide proof of your experience, you won't be granted the CISSP certification.

Another CISSP sponsors you and validates your experience. This can be audited. If you don't know another CISSP to sponsor you, there is another path, but it requires a little more documentation to prove your experience.

And yes, you would seek the CISSP cert after working on the job gaining real-world experience.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

4XJunkie wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't just jump and take the CISSP can you? Despite if you know the info or not.

I believe you have to submit proof and verification of atleast 4 years working in a security environment, regardless of your exam resullts.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?

EDIT:

Answered my own question. You need 5 years of proven work experience with the following:

For your CISSP credential, your professional experience has to be in two or more of these 10 (ISC)² CISSP domains:
    • Access Control
    • Application Security
    • Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning
    • Cryptography
    • Information Security and Risk Management
    • Legal, Regulations, Compliance and Investigations
    • Operations Security
    • Physical (Environmental) Security
    • Security Architecture and Design
    • Telecommunications and Network Security
    This would leave me to believe that the CISSP is something you would get after working a sys/network admin job that would allow you to work directly with the material above, for atleast 5 years.