Options

ping but no telnet

jbwallacejbwallace Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
OK, so I can ping my ethernet port on my 2501, but when I try to telnet I get:
Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    I changed computers and it works on my desktop, but it won't work on my laptop. I put the exact same IP's into my NIC's on both computers.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    check your firewall settings on the laptop
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    check your firewall settings on the laptop

possible.
  • Options
    I haven't checked the firewall because when I connected to my switch I was able to ping and telnet to it. Could it still be the firewall?
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought you said in your first post you could not telnet into it from your laptop?
  • Options
    That's right, I could not telnet to my router with my laptop. I can telnet to my router with my desktop. My laptop will telnet to my switch.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    That doesn't make much sense if you assigned them both the same exact IP address. If you can telnet from the desktop to the router and switch, then you should be able to telnet from the Router from the laptop as well. Disable windows firewall and see if that does anything. But, you shouldn't even be able to telnet into the switch if that's the case. You didn't set up SSH on the router right?
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    jbwallace wrote: »
    That's right, I could not telnet to my router with my laptop. I can telnet to my router with my desktop. My laptop will telnet to my switch.

Can your desktop telnet to the switch? Post your switch config.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jbwallace wrote: »

Hmm...do you have any ACLs on you router. How about a erase start and then reload, then reassign everything.

A show run post would be helpful.

Edit: Also check for ACL's on your switch. It is worth a shot. If you post the running config or both, I will lap them out in a little bit.